• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Repair of Auxiliary/Lighter Socket: 94 Pickup

handcannon

Reaction score
I don't know how many others have had this happen. But, the other day when I went to plug my GPS power cord into the aux socket, the socket pushed completely through the plastic mounting bracket. The lip that holds the socket, which is cast into the plastic housing, broke completely out.

I don't know just when this body style started, 1990? But, the last year is 1994.

I didn't feel like rummaging through a pick-n-pull in the heavy rain we've been having lately. So I started rummaging through my memory and came up with an idea. What about the filler washers used when putting electrical conduit into a box when the box has had too big of a knockout removed?

Jackpot!!! I tried the washers for 3/4" conduit and they are 7/8ths" ID, and the aux socket is 7/8ths" OD.

Here's what I did.

First, my little point-n-shoot camera doesn't like to take close ups. Many of the pics are fuzzy, but you can get the idea.

Pic 1-- Tray assembly showing how the socket slips through the opening.

Pic 2-- Here's the filler washers. Notice how one side has the size stamped into the face. Also, a portion of the inner area is offset from the rest.

Pic 3-- Here's the ash tray assembly. The socket hole has had whats left of the retainer lip removed

Pic 4-- I flipped the washer over so the offset faced up, the stamped numbers are hidden underneath, and slipped it over the socket. A second washer is setting there in reverse orientation to the one I just put on the socket.

Pic 5-- Here's the socket retainer. I shortened the unthreaded end up 3/16ths" to account for two thicknesses of washer.

Pic 6-- Here's the socket with the retainer threaded onto it. This shows the space needed to thread through the second washer and the plastic tray housing.

Pic 7--This shows from the back side the socket with the second washer in place and ready for the retainer. The order of install: socket, washer which is faced the same way as this bracket does {plastic tray} second washer faced the way this second bracket does, retainer (shown in next pic).

Pic 8--The front side, completed.

Pic 9-- The back side, completed.

Attachments

• IMGP1424.jpg
    IMGP1424.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMGP1425.jpg
    IMGP1425.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMGP1426.jpg
    IMGP1426.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMGP1428.jpg
    IMGP1428.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMGP1429.jpg
    IMGP1429.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1
  • IMGP1432.jpg
    IMGP1432.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMGP1433.jpg
    IMGP1433.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 2
  • IMGP1434.jpg
    IMGP1434.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMGP1435.jpg
    IMGP1435.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1
Neat fix thanks for posting it.
One lighter related warning I would like to pass around. Always keep the lighter hole plugged with a lighter or wine cork or something when not in use. I had an incident where even after being warned numerous times the wife managed to get a coin into the lighter socket. A lot of smoke and heat was produced before the breaker popped. It melted the plastic around it and ruined the socket. Could have been the source of a car fire or a distraction that caused an accident. I kid her that she has a black cloud of malfunction that follows her around :hihi:

My 95 has the lighter and two aux ports. From day one the aux ports have not worked and the ash tray won't close. I guess after owning the pick up for 4 years i should try to figure it out or take it in to have it fixed. I have yet to find the fuse for the aux ports.

Back