• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Repair Manual ? Best one to buy? 2000 Chev CK3500 6.5L Diesel

Helm is official one. Amazon or ebay probably cheapest. Alldatadiy website is similar and many times easier to search for me.

The official GM Service manual covers absolutely EVERYTHING! ALL wiring diagrams, codes, procedures, troubleshooting, specs etc., etc., etc. NO other substitute is better, IMHO. I've used Chilton, Haynes, they can't touch the official GM Service manuals! I have both the DVD version, and the four volume 3,600+ page hard paper copy. Bought the DVD off eBay for <$25, waited and hunted and bought the hard copy off eBay for <$60 + shipping. Call me old-school, but I prefer the hard copy over the DVD. Just seems easier for this old dog to use and also have the diagrams/pictures THERE to see, not on screen. Also easier to Post-It note pages/volumes to flip back and forth while doing procedures than to use the DVD menus.

I agree, the GM Factory Service Manuals are the way to go. Ebay is the best place to find 'em. I also like the books, something more meaningful about flipping through a couple hundred pages of book...

I'm still looking on eBay.

Aside: Has anyone else been fooled-into signing-up with "Bill Me Later" thru PayPal? It;s a sneaky bankers' scam. Don't go for it!

Aside: Has anyone else been fooled-into signing-up with "Bill Me Later" thru PayPal? It;s a sneaky bankers' scam. Don't go for it!

I was going to sign up for it. the way I saw it, if payed off in full in time, it is free short term financing. any info to the contrary is appreciated.

Ol ebay is very finiky on keywords, I found 3 sets right off, all are buy it now for 150 or more, this one opens for 100 bucks.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Chevro...anuals_Literature&hash=item43bb559781&vxp=mtr

also, to help searches in the future, keep in mind you dont have a "HD", as the C3500HD is the 15,000 lb GVWR chassis cab with 19.5 rubber and 4 whl disc brakes, nor do you have a C3500, as the "C" designates 2wd. you officially have a "K3500"

good luck!

Thanx, GM Guy. I think you have a grasp on just how uninitiated I am. I'll take a look on ebay at that link you provided. The other issue that compounds my dilemma is that I am not sure this motor came out of a 2000 truck. We would take the good motors out of the hulks and scrap them putting good components into stock. We dealt, exclusively, with salvage auction wrecks so no parts came from abused or junker cars and trucks. We closed-down and I can no longer access the software to look-up the origin of this motor. Are there markings or numbers somewhere on the motor which would be indicators?

I see those manuals. I won't bid on them if it's you whose bidding already. It says they cover C K and Silverado. Does that mean C and K and Silverados because mine is not a Silverado. Mine's a cab & chassis. I removed a utility body from it when I got it. [email protected]

I just got an email from Amazon.com listing parts like the PMD I bought (but I didn't buy that kit on Amazon)
One is an AC Delco 214-1073 Turbo Boost Solenoid for $28.27. Is this what may be giving me that P0236 DTC on my new OBDII reader?

Buyer beware guys. I have the 2000 C&K service manual from the post #6 above and would sell it for $75+ ship but IIRC it DOES NOT cover the 6.5 engine. Gassers only. IIRC the 6.5 is a separate manual. I can look again tonight but I'm pretty sure.

Edit: Pretty sure mine is for GM800 body style.I bought it from the order form in the back of the owner's manual of a 2000, K2500HD

Last edited:
thanks for the input btfarm. This may be a bad idea, as I dont know about any wiring changes, but would a 1998 set be a better idea? last year of full product line GMT400, from the 1500 to the big 3500HD.

OBE, I am not bidding on any book sets, so bid away, although after the new bit of info btfarm provided, it may not be a good idea to buy the year 2000 set.

I will try to search some threads, I think I had the same question a few years back. unfortunately, I think the one code was in the back, so it is un-readable with a transmission installed.

one quick way to narrow down what year the motor is from is if you had to change accessories (the alt. a/c comp, and all associated mounting brackets) if you didnt, and they look the same, the motor has to be at least a 1996. size of oil cooler lines will break it down further. big lines are 97 and up I beleive, small is 96 and older. if you left the water pump from the swapped engine on, it can narrow it down as well. a thread on fan clutch is 99.5-00, a bolt on is early 99 and older.

Thanx for the tip, btfarm. I, too, was trying to make sure diesels were included by using the magnifier on my mouse. I didn't see "diesel" mentioned.

GM Guy: I didn't put this motor in. I had it done by a truck repair garage. The problem is that I'm not near them anymore and the one that put it in, fouled thisgs up a little, and another one had to straighten it out (charging me another $1800!)

This truck and these trailers all work great (when they are all working) but I don't really have any work for them anymore since we closed down the yard and retired. I'm trying to get the truck running reliably again and the trailers painted up to SELL the whole shootin' match. Look at my Albums to see my equipment.

I'm getting frustrated stumbling around in the dark (and I know you fellas must be getting tired of my whining) so I went down to the Advance Store and bought a manual. The Haynes Manual said it covered GM & Ford Diesels, the GMs up-to-and-including the 6.5L. When I unwrapped it I found that it only had illustrations up to 1993, which is not much help to a novice like me. It cost $30 but they took it back.

I wish I could find the right edition or even a used GM set that didn't cost a few hundred $!

here is one that specifically says old body style, diesel included.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Chevy-...anuals_Literature&hash=item53f5f8e6f5&vxp=mtr

just keep an eye out, you will have to try a few different searches "2000 chevy service manual" seems to get the most results, of which you will have to sift out the other models, and on the ones that say c/k truck, make sure its the GMT400 old body style with diesel, and not the GMT 800 99 and up half ton and light 3/4 tons.

we got that haynes manual, it has a few good things in it, but it doesnt ever go very deep into anything.

I use Bill Me Later. I have NOT found it to be a "sneaky bankers' scam". If you use the extended pay and pay off the purchase amount in the specified time period, you are not charged interest - like a lay away plan sort of. I pay off my monthly purchases at the end of the billing cycle and so don't pay interest on those, either. It works just like a no annual fee credit card - if you pay your balances off in full before their due dates you pay NO interest and thus have "free" credit.

thanks for the input btfarm. This may be a bad idea, as I dont know about any wiring changes, but would a 1998 set be a better idea? last year of full product line GMT400, from the 1500 to the big 3500HD.

96+ are essentially the same as far as wiring, codes, disassembly, etc. I happened to get a set of 1998 Second Edition GM manuals for mine last summer. The Edition is just any typo errors that had been noted by service techs (like the wrong caption on an exploded diagram, etc) and sent to GM and then corrected in the next republished Service Manual. They (the GM Service manuals for Pickup/Suburban) show up every now and then, usually there's only 1 or 2 listings at a time. Patience is needed, it's like landing that 40lb Channel Catfish on 12lb monofilament line.

Wait'll you see the "sweet" '97 GMC Sierra I just picked up. I'll be sending some photos. It has a 5.7L gas motor. Is that like a 350 cu. in.?

Wait'll you see the "sweet" '97 GMC Sierra I just picked up. I'll be sending some photos. It has a 5.7L gas motor. Is that like a 350 cu. in.?

The 5.7 IS a 350. '97 will be a Vortec. Let's see those PICS!

Back