• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Removing the dash, trying to get to the defrost door in my '95 Sierra k2500

Just a quick note. Found this forum, this thread was EXACTLY what I needed to get heat back out of my defrosters with winter closing in! One of the doors had fallen out of its socket and getting at it from the top was the only option. A note on my 97 Chevy K1500, once I had removed the dash pivot bolts it still wouldnt pivot. A bit of searching led me to remove the glove box drawer and there were two more bolts in there I simply had to loosen off to make the entire assembly pivot. The offending control door simply popped back into place but looked so sloppy that it might pop back out. I decided a bushing of sorts would take up the slack and, after a bit of trial and error, a black plastic cable tie wrapped around the shaft between the door and the box allowed it to function but not pop out again. Yes, I know its a crude fix, but it will get me through till spring when I have time to pull the dash apart completely and install a new unit entirely.

Thanks again for the great post!

This thread was helpful recently, just finished this up last week on the k1500 gasser. Put in a new vent box and evaporator, compr, condensor, lines , heater core, everything.

Epoxied up some cracks in the dash, so now its cracking somewhere else :rolleyes5:

I guess I need to fiberglass over the entire dash and maybe it will be strong enough then.

You are not too far away from me. I picked up an entire crack free dash at a wrecking yard for under $20. I pulled it out of the truck in under 30 minutes. Install took me about 2 to 3 days. Here is the link to my dash install:

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?29208-1993-Dash

If you decide to roll out here and get one let me know. I could meet you there and give you a hand.

All doors are available separately now !

You will need part# 52467204, it is a upper case with the two doors in it. The doors are not available without the case.
I have the same problem and have the new part already.

I did my 95 and I bought them all separately on Amazon.
ACDelco 15-50552
ACDelco 15-5520
ACDelco 15-5737
And rockauto
ACDELCO Part # 155520
ACDELCO Part # 155737
ACDELCO Part # 1550552
About $43 total.

Not sure if this is applicable but I fixed my 95's problem is in the controller head switch.
My symptoms was not that bad yet but it takes a long time before the air start blowing in the direction of the selected by the dial.
So, you can select defrost but it does not go to defrost till 2-5 minutes later then if I moved it to the other direction, it takes another 2-5 minutes also. It has not stuck in one direction yet.

It is actually, one of the transistor needs to be changed.
Cost around $1 for the transistor, I got to be proficient in soldering due to changing some capacitor in failed LCD monitors.

The write-up by WarWagon is in the interior section, I added a post in there about the success of the fix.

Great thread. I need to replace my AC evaporator on the 97 and will save time R@Ring dash. Every vehicle I own, I have had to remove the @#$@^N dash for some reason or another. I'm hoping I'm well enough to do this, as well as replacing headliner and carpet, before next back operation. Thanks again for write up.

Back