• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Removing the bed

Samdweezel05

Reaction score
I need to get my bed off my truck and I can't figure out how to get the bolts out without the nuts spinning in the x-members. How can I grab the nuts. I will be welding tabs to the nuts before I put them back in so they don't spin. Thank's

Phil

Why don't you weld them right now before you take them off that way there they won't spin.

They are 6" inside the X-member and I can't get to them. My mig or tig won't reach and I am afraid if I do it with the stick I will weld the bolt to the nut and be screwed either way.

Phil

our trucks must be different cause it took me and 1 other drunk friend to get my buddies colorado bed off in about 5-10 minutes. that was funny when he finally saw it :rolleyes: . the colorado mounts were almost like body mounts.

When I removed the beds on our 90 and 93 for the 6.5 swap, Gm had threaded plates that were welded to the crossbrace for the bed. It seems screwy that they would have a true nut in there.

Unless were talking about the same thing and yours were so corroded that you broke the weld with the impact.

When I removed the beds on our 90 and 93 for the 6.5 swap, Gm had threaded plates that were welded to the crossbrace for the bed. It seems screwy that they would have a true nut in there.

Unless were talking about the same thing and yours were so corroded that you broke the weld with the impact.

I can't see if it is a nut or a plate. Might not be a nut at all. If it's a welded/threaded plate I will have to cut off the bolts and replace them

Phil

i think i would use a cutoff wheel or a grinder to save your self some work later. grind the head of the bolt out and pop the box off. you start torchin ****, you will have to fix the x members and this way, you can salvage the box.... my $.02

Back