• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Removing sticker/trim residue.....

deejaaa

Diesel Beginner
Reaction score
taking off the side trim and gate emblem from the 93 but am having a real hard time getting the stickey off. tried so far: brake cleaner, didn't faze it: gas, same thing: heat gun, worked but burn't some paint off and melted the plastic scrapers and don't have any more. i looked for some 3M remover but wasn't able to find any at the FLAPS. i need some ideas because this stuff is the best stuff i've seen, GM got what they paid for w/ this stuff. haven't tried acetone yet but denatured alcohol was like water to it. don't want to use anything that will remove the paint. any ideas would be appreciated.

Any place that supplies pint should have a, I can't remember the name, but it is something like a graphics eraser. 3M is one manufacturer for it. You attach it to a drill, and it removes the strip and the adhesive, just like an eraser.

Found it. $15 from Eastwood (eastwoodco .com) Just search for eraser.

Spray it with WD-40. They make a belt cleaner for belt sanders. It is like a large rubber eraser. You can get them from almost any DIY home improvement store. I don’t remember what they cost. You just spray the adhesive with WD-40 and rub it off with the eraser.

found Norton Universal Adhesion Cleaner Qt at Eastwood for 10.99. will look at the paint shop when power is restored in the area. i tried wd-40 but not w/ the belt cleaner, wd didn't soften it at all. stubborn stuff

Yup, that's the eraser I was talking about. I have used it before, on my 88K2500. It works great. It takes everything off very easy.

taking off the side trim and gate emblem from the 93 but am having a real hard time getting the stickey off. tried so far: brake cleaner, didn't faze it: gas, same thing: heat gun, worked but burn't some paint off and melted the plastic scrapers and don't have any more. i looked for some 3M remover but wasn't able to find any at the FLAPS. i need some ideas because this stuff is the best stuff i've seen, GM got what they paid for w/ this stuff. haven't tried acetone yet but denatured alcohol was like water to it. don't want to use anything that will remove the paint. any ideas would be appreciated.

Heat gun is too hot - use a hair dryer.

Heat gun is too hot - use a hair dryer.
i know that now but this one has 2 settings and i was using the higher one. i'm gonna leave it in the sun and fix the starter problem for now. i am hoping to get a look at it tomorrow. thanx for all the help

Bio works better the Goo Off.
As a bodyman for 20 years, those rubber eraser wheels are the Shiznit! Buy them from the same place that you local body shop buys their paint supply's

Goo Gone works fine....

That's what I used....on the driver's side after I ran my fingers raw on the passenger side using nothing....

THAT 3M wheel ROCKS! I have had the foamy crap from the tailgate metal badge I peeled off last year. (Well, I finished off) and have been slowly peeling it off. Thanks to all!!

THAT 3M wheel ROCKS! I have had the foamy crap from the tailgate metal badge I peeled off last year. (Well, I finished off) and have been slowly peeling it off. Thanks to all!!

Yup. I used it to remove the striping from my 88 k2500, the adhesive that the body side molding was held on with, and it works great on your nails too, but burns the skin. Ouch. I slipped.

Yup. I used it to remove the striping from my 88 k2500, the adhesive that the body side molding was held on with, and it works great on your nails too, but burns the skin. Ouch. I slipped.
i might have to get some goof off and if that doesn't work i'll look for "the wheel".

I recomend the rubber wheel too. I used it at a body shop before and it takes all the hard work out of the job. Just let the tool do all the work.:cornut:

i found goof off at harbor freight, it works but there is way too much to remove so i will look for the wheel when i get a chance.

Back