• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

removing Herculiner

Detroit Dan

Reaction score
I'm getting some used step tubes (nerf bars), guy coated them with Herculiner bedliner stuff. Don't know if he sprayed it out of a can or rolled it, but I think it's the rolled stuff. Haven't seen them yet, I was just wondering if I don't like the way they look, is it possible to get the stuff off and repaint, or would I be stuck with them?

I'm suspecting this stuff is pretty much permanent. Just didn't know if it could be torched off easy or scoured off with some kind of stripper. The more I think about it, the more I figure it's gonna be permanent.

most likely he grinded, or scraped the metal....if you remove it,...the surface will be horrible.

you can sand it off. I would use something pretty aggressive. you will have to smooth and paint them afterwards. it might be better to leave them alone or pass on them altother. you may also get lucky, and the steps weren't properly prepped. if not you may be able to peel it off. good luck.

I would try sand blasting or glass beading. Sand paper is going to load up when that stuff gets hot.

You can try sand blasting, I don't think its going to work any better than sanding it off. That is how I remove the stuff, because I do own a spray lining biz.

I'm hoping they look good as is, I don't think I want to fight with these things. Pick your battles, they say. Maybe if they look sloppy a fresh coat of liner over it might smooth them out.

Dan, A high psi pressure washer will remove it as well. 99% of the time who ever paints them doesn't prep it right. It worth a shot anyways.

Dan, A high psi pressure washer will remove it as well. 99% of the time who ever paints them doesn't prep it right. It worth a shot anyways.

Good idea, that is worth a try. Joey is right, it may not have been prepped properly and may come off pretty easy.

Depending on how old they are and where they are coming from, you might not want to mess with them. I had a set of Westins on my work truck that rotted out and broke after 6 years. They rusted from the inside out - so Herculiner wouldn't have helped. That's why my newer truck has stainless ones.

damn, thats another good point. I have seen them with rot holes in them before. I was just thinking I'd like to get something for protection, since I am in the process of replacing a damaged extended cab corner now. But I'd also have to do some modification to get them up higher, they look stupid with a body lift, makes them hang down too low.

I rolled that liner stuff on my bed....it was pretty thick. I used some scotch brite to prep the surface....would hate to think i had to remove it after a few years. My Westin Bars are Powder Coated....still looking good

well, they didn't fit my truck, so no longer have to worry about it. They don't fit the truck of the guy who bought them before me either. No idea what they go to.

I rolled that liner stuff on my bed....it was pretty thick. I used some scotch brite to prep the surface....would hate to think i had to remove it after a few years. My Westin Bars are Powder Coated....still looking good

I usually prep with 40 grit on a D/A. A scotch brite pad doesn't give enough "tooth".

That's because you live down South. Come up here and let the winter salt work on them and they won't look so good. Same thing happened to my nerf bar - rotted from the inside out. Outside didn't look too bad, but the damn thing broke and fell off. Inside was rotted all to hell. :sad:

Back