• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Removing front fenders w/flares

SnowDrift

Ultra Conservative. ULTRA!
Reaction score
As the title says, but... ...how do I do it?

I'm going to paint the flares and I understand the fenders have to be removed to unbolt the frame on the flares. How many bolts, other than at the battery tray and inner fender skirt do I need to remove? Any tips on keeping alignment correct and things like that? Any other tips that I might need would be great, too. I've not done this since a '78 K20 that I didn't care about the paint.

Ok. First things first. Your truck looks awesome. I love that hood! Now that that's out of the way, just unbolt thos flares and paint them suckers.

Let's hope you don't find rust under thos things.

Are you painting them yourself at home? Bodyshop?

Thanks for the compliment!

No chance of rust on this old girl. How do I get to the bolts, though, is what I'm asking? There will be four nuts on the steel flare frame and know the owner of the body shop that put the new fender on after that deer I hit said the only way to get the flares off was to take the fender off.

I'm planning to squirt them with the help of a friend that does body work. I hate to cover up the paint that is on there now, because it's clear coated over the gray with a flattening agent (unlike the factory finish on them).

So how do you remove the front plastic fender flares/ skirts?

I took out the screws holding them to the fender, but the flare has no movement.

I had a blow out on the right front and the fender got folded over the bolt that holds the inner fender on.

I'm going after the down pipe, so the inner fender needs to come out.

I found videos on removing the fenders, but not the flares

Thanks

IDK about removing the fenders, I do know there are a lot of bolts and screws to undo to get the left side inner fender removed.
I looked at that ine time and decided I’d get the job done without removing that inner fender.
Without going out and looking, I “think” that the hood prop/spring system is attached to the fenders too, so, might be best to remove the hood before beginning the exploratory dismantling.

IDK about removing the fenders, I do know there are a lot of bolts and screws to undo to get the left side inner fender removed.
I looked at that ine time and decided I’d get the job done without removing that inner fender.
Without going out and looking, I “think” that the hood prop/spring system is attached to the fenders too, so, might be best to remove the hood before beginning the exploratory dismantling.
I just want to remove the skirt and the inner fender on the right side.
I've had the inner fender out several times. But never had to mess with the flare.
If I have to remove the fender to remove the flare, I will just try to beat the bent part out of the way to remove the inner fender.

Gave up on removing the fender flare to get to the inner fender out. With the help of a 2 lb.er I was able to bend the fender out of the way. To remove the inner fender.
Apparently I had not had this inner fender on this vehicle out before. No anti seize.

I had 2 spinners. I drilled the heads off. Now I'll be looking for bolts and new C clips.
Actually pulling the inner fender out is next. As soon as I'm done eating. Or maybe napping.

Back