• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

REMOVED THE NITTO'S AFTER 5K MILES

t2ch

Reaction score
I could not take it anymore! The squirmy feel of the Nitto Terra Grapplers was rediculus. They felt like they were rolling over on the side wall in corners and heaven help you if you had to make a quick lane change. I had 285-70/17 on H2's. E rated. these tires were way to soft for a 3/4 ton truck.

We were leaving for WV on a camping trip last Thursday and I had them rotated to see if they would straighten out. No such luck. They got worse. So I called back to the shop and asked if I could get a set of BFG's put on the next morning (Thurs.) before we leave. They told me to come right back and they stayed late to install the new tires Wed. afternoon. What a good ride I have now.

I thought I was goining to eat the cost of the Titto's but the supplier said they would take care of it.

Nitto has been around for a long time making sportscar tires but they need to do some more work on their truck tires!

I had the same problem with Nitto and have spoken to them many times about it. I swaped them out for Toyos and what a difference.

The compound on the Nittos causes the wondering problem.

Dune grapplers suck on the street. I have not had one customer happy with the handleing after having them put on. Mud grap way to Loud IMO.

Toyo or BFG is where it's at

There also nearly no tread depth on the dune grappler. Nitto says expect 30K if youe lucky on the milage. I think thats pushing it.

I had no prob on the road with the Dune Grappler...I run IROK's right now so who cares about noisy? TOYO SUCKS ASS!!!! and BFG is old news

I couldn't get the Toyo's, not easily anyway. They were 2-3 weeks out for a set. Plus I get really good deals on the tires my buddy caries and can get, like his cost.

Actually I ended up getting the BFG for the price of the Titto's.

Dunes, as far as BFG being old news, I never stop hearing the saying "Things aren't made the way they used to". And it's usually the truth.

I guess BFG figures its one of their top tires and no since changing it to be in style. I tried "style" and it SUCKED

No worries man I'm a Toyo, Nitto, Goodyear, BFG dealer and I know they can be hard to come by.

As for BFG's being old news. Thats a complete load of crap. They are still barnone the Most popular A/T on the market TODAY.

You will be very happy with the BFG's

Now I wonder if thats what you want when you go off roading(going over rocks and stuff like that)?I dont think I would like that feeling at all!

Dune grapplers suck on the street. I have not had one customer happy with the handleing after having them put on. Mud grap way to Loud IMO.

Toyo or BFG is where it's at

There also nearly no tread depth on the dune grappler. Nitto says expect 30K if youe lucky on the milage. I think thats pushing it.

Mine didn't last that long and they were mighty squirmy, POS tire IMO

No worries man I'm a Toyo, Nitto, Goodyear, BFG dealer and I know they can be hard to come by.

As for BFG's being old news. Thats a complete load of crap. They are still barnone the Most popular A/T on the market TODAY.

You will be very happy with the BFG's

This is probably my 4th or 5th set over the years and have always been good to me.

I should have bought them in the first place but thought I'd try something different. Lesson learned

might just be the amount of sidewall on those tires that causes them to be so squirrely. i've ridden many miles in a truck wearing sand grapplers that are 285/55-20.... much less sidewall and the truck doesn't feel jittery at all.

they do smoke a lot for some reason though.... :D

I had 35x12.50 R20 Nitto mud grapplers on my other truck. They were WAY too noisy, and were too soft a compound for a street tire IMO. I will never own another set of them.
As for BFG they make a great tire, I had them on my K5 and they worked great on-road and off.

Hmm Im real happy with my Terra Grapplers so far but I just got them in a 265. I was actually gonna sell the 265's to a buddy and buy a set of 285's because I liked the bigger tire!

Actually I liked the tires 295 D's good traction in the snow and mud, but I wore them fast. maybe because they were D's. But like I said they are a lot cheaper than BFG's...

I could not take it anymore! The squirmy feel of the Nitto Terra Grapplers was rediculus. They felt like they were rolling over on the side wall in corners and heaven help you if you had to make a quick lane change. I had 285-70/17 on H2's. E rated. these tires were way to soft for a 3/4 ton truck.

We were leaving for WV on a camping trip last Thursday and I had them rotated to see if they would straighten out. No such luck. They got worse. So I called back to the shop and asked if I could get a set of BFG's put on the next morning (Thurs.) before we leave. They told me to come right back and they stayed late to install the new tires Wed. afternoon. What a good ride I have now.

I thought I was goining to eat the cost of the Titto's but the supplier said they would take care of it.

Nitto has been around for a long time making sportscar tires but they need to do some more work on their truck tires!
Man! I am glad you posted this. I was thinking about buying a set for my dually and my wife's 2500 Sub. I would have hated to buy 12 tires and then hate them...:holyshirt: I am having a hard time deciding what to get....:mad2:

JP

JP, I would look at Toyo or BFG's. Maybe a set of Michelins if thats your style. The Toyo's were the only AT with a tread life warrenty I've ever seen. It was hard to get them here and that is why I went back to BFG's, not to mention how good of a tire they are.

JP, I would look at Toyo or BFG's. Maybe a set of Michelins if thats your style. The Toyo's were the only AT with a tread life warrenty I've ever seen. It was hard to get them here and that is why I went back to BFG's, not to mention how good of a tire they are.
Toyos are tough to get here too, unless I order them online. I was thinkin' about the Michelin LTX M/S for the Suburban (pricey), but a lot of guys say these tires don't do well in the rain and snow. Then I looked into the BFGs, but read that they don't do so well on duallys for load carrying...even though they are E rated. My wife likes a quiet tire so BFGs on the Sub are proabaly out. So, I'm kinda stuck.

My nephew put a set of Bridgestone Duelers on his Z71 and they aren't wearing worth a darn...but he is 20 years old and still into that "Hey, watch this!" mode. ):h

The tire store that I deal with is pushin' the GoodYear Wrangler Silent Armor mostly because they are the replacement tires for the stock wrangler A/T S that I have on now. Mucho Denaro!

And how come nobody makes a 255/85/16 in an all season tire? I have until the fall to make a decision, but I'm gettin' antsy about what to do.
JP

JP, check out the Cooper Discoverers HHT I think. A friend has a set on his Dodge 2500 and likes them. Just a thought.

I have those AT/S Wrangler on my yukon and hate them. They are louder than my BFG's and need constant attention. I will probably go with the Michilin (not the LTX but another one I had on an Explorer and liked very much for a SUV) for the next set on the Yukon.

JP, check out the Cooper Discoverers HHT I think. A friend has a set on his Dodge 2500 and likes them. Just a thought.

I have those AT/S Wrangler on my yukon and hate them. They are louder than my BFG's and need constant attention. I will probably go with the Michilin (not the LTX but another one I had on an Explorer and liked very much for a SUV) for the next set on the Yukon.
Yeah, the A/T S tires aren't that great if you get off road like in an RV park but they have held up. I have over 50K on the rear tires. I got a screw in the sidewall of one tire and they wouldn't fix it, so I put the spare (new) on the front and bought a new one for the other side in front about 2 years ago. I can't really hear them over the engine, but the traction isn't great. I'll look into the Cooper Discover tires...thanks.

What "other" Michelins are you talking about? The Michelin XTC or somehting like that? The XCT are a lower standard tire than the LTX they are made for stores like Wal-Mart, Sears etc. The LTX go to the tire stores. Only reason I know this is my wife's cousin is the formula engineer for Michelin (the guy that comes up with the rubber formula) and they have different standards for tires. Anyways, it's not that they are a bad tire by any means, if those are the ones you are talking about.
JP

Back