• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Remote Start Question

dur0maxx

Is Blowin Soot On A Prius
Reaction score
I'm looking into a remote start system. It doesn't get that cold here but I think I need it since I only work 3 miles from the house. I hate starting it up and then just cutting it off as soon as it fully warms up. Then I can start it when I roll out the bed and by the time I'm ready to go it would be at operating temp. I'm looking at this kit:
GALAXY GALAXY 5000RS-2W-1-SP
My question is do I also need this:
GALAXY GMBPKY GM Passlock 1 & 2 VATS Self-Learning Immobilizer Interface

And how hard is it to install on one of these trucks. I like the fact that this kit has remote start with delay for the glows to warm up and it also has a turbo timer.

Thanks

I would not go with a unit that has a delay for the glow plugs. I would make sure the unit has a way to hook into the "wait to start" light. As soon as the light goes off, it fires.

Whatever you do, make sure whoever puts it in solders all the connections.

Supposadly it is PC programable to do what ever. It says for gas or diesel so I am assuming it will work. I have searched on the other site at that is how I found it. Others with diesels have used it. I will probably install it. I hope it's not too hard to do.

I had a DEI unit installed in my truck. At first he set it up with a 45 second timer. Way too long, glows were cold by the time it tried to start. Lowered to 15 seconds because 30 still seemed to long, but it didn't work well because of the variance in temperature. Finally brought it back and had him install a diode to run off the wait to start light. Worked perfectly after that, it was definitely the best way to do it.
I always warm the truck up to temp before driving it, but I find I leave it running a whole lot more, probably wasting some fuel. Bigger concern is that my PMD being under the hood was getting exposed to even more idling heat.
I use the remote starter to leave the truck running after a highway run or a hard pull, to let the oil cool back down to normal. I'm told that's what kills turbos is the hot oil baking on the hot bearings, rather than gradually cooling the oil down and the bearings also.

I looked today at the one that bestbuy has but i don't want to spend that much. I'm gonna keep looking. But My other question is, do I need the bypass module for the security system?

Which Viper system do you have? I was looking at the one in Best Buy today, i believe it is model number 711XVR. They want $380us for it installed, although I believe I still need the vats box since mine is a 98.

Hell no!

Had it installed by a pro - said so on the warranty card...had to be installed by a pro to carry the warranty....I wouldn't touch that kind of install myself (and I am not queasy about electronics)....

I have the Crimestopper remote start/alarm. I love it. make sure it does have a circuit for the Wait to Start light. I agree whole heartedly to solder your connections. I did it took me two days to install my alarm but its been in and running for 2 years now...

I found the 5900 for about $190, best buy is askin $500. I find it hard to believe they are charging 300 for install for that, maybe I can talk them down. Or just ask them how much to install one if I bring them one. I'm all about saving a buck!!!

I found the 5900 for about $190, best buy is askin $500. I find it hard to believe they are charging 300 for install for that, maybe I can talk them down. Or just ask them how much to install one if I bring them one. I'm all about saving a buck!!!

I bought mine for around $100 + the GM passkey bypass but no one wanted to install it unless they sold it. $300 is probably about right if you want it done right it's not a simple job. Most of the retail installers use the cheater wire taps and thats what causes harness fires. I took the time to strip without cutting the wires and solder all my connections. It was very time consuming, but it was worth it when I completed it. Astro Start is a very good product. The other website Max_Power is a seller and he gave me all the info and help I needed to install mine.. Good luck if you have any questions PM me and I will give you my number...

Or just ask them how much to install one if I bring them one. I'm all about saving a buck!!!

Do you bring raw steak to a restaurant and ask them to cook it for you? :confused:

I am a believer in purchasing from the installer - no matter what it is....everyone has to make a living...

Do you bring raw steak to a restaurant and ask them to cook it for you? :confused:

I am a believer in purchasing from the installer - no matter what it is....everyone has to make a living...

That's funny Chris. Can you imagine taking a cheap steak from the grocery store to Ruths Chris Steakhouse and having them cook it for you and then having the juevos to complain about it. My mouth is watering for their buffalo ribeye now. :drool5:

I agree with what you say but, when they actually offer the service of installation for items not purchased through them, then that should be expected. Now with that being said, this is my plan, I will ask them how much for install if I bring in my own. Once I get that figure, which from what I've read is around $140, I will then explain that I can get the same exact unit they sell at another store and proceed to show the salesman the printout of the item. Then the negotiations will start.

If that doesn't work then I will still buy it and have them install it. With installation being 150 and the cost of the unit from another seller being 190 I can safely assume that they have at least 150 to negotiate with.

Even if they'll do it, never have it installed by someone that doesn't sell it. If there is a problem, they will blame the product that you brought to them and won't warranty it. It will be up to you to get it out and shipped back to whoever, and then they can always say it was the installer. You are much better off buying it from the people that are going to install it. Of course, if you want to do it yourself and save all of that 300, then that might be worth it because if it goes bad, then you've saved enough to buy another.
Just my opinion.

I dropped $600 to have mine purchased and installed and it was worth every penny....if there are ANY problems with the unit or the install it goes back to ONE place....no fuss no muss....

Back