• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Remote mounting FSD

Reaction score
A few months ago I bought a Flight Systems FSD and a Dorman remote mount kit. I didn't want to pull the intake to remove the gray Stanadyne from the pump.
While having the injectors out I pulled the intake to clean all the baked on junk out of it from blowby and the working EGR. I noticed that there was 1 bolt missing from the Stanadyne FSD, yes the hardest one, bottom back corner. I'm guessing that FSD was what the previous owner meant when he said something about the pump having just been replaced.
IMG_20130706_124151.jpg
I've noticed the integral aluminum heatsink of the Flight Systems FSD is not very flat, the on of the Stanadyne FSD appears to be a lot flatter and made out of some type of plastic.
IMG_20130801_224541.jpgIMG_20130801_232202.jpgIMG_20130801_224623.jpgIMG_20130801_224614.jpg
After reading through Buddys pdf doc about these engines I had a tough/idea about transferring the heat from the transistors to the heatsink.
A few, 15 or so, years ago I was playing around with water cooling my computer. The was one company, Koolance, that sold a hard drive cooler/water block and in the kit was some electrically insulated, thermally conductive encapsulating compound that you filled the bottom/circuit board of the hard drive with. Wouldn't that same or similar compound be great to cover the transistors and make them thermally conductive with and electrical insulated from the heatsink? You'd have to remove the black plastic covers from the Flight Systems.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...DC2-A01.html?gclid=CLLs67Hp-LgCFRSVMgodg0AAvw

Last edited:
Personally i am inclined to believe these transistor covers are there for a sound reason, i don't think Stanadine or flightsystems would put them there just to make it look pretty.
A new PMD usually comes with a new heat transfer pad.

Back