• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Reference Material: Adding Cruise Control

knkreb

The Bus Driver is here!
Reaction score
If you have a 94 and newer 6.5, and you don't have cruise control, this thread might be for you.

This was my experience with my new-to-me-no-cruise-control vehicle.

Let's review for just a moment:

The 6.5 is a totally electrically controlled diesel engine. Diesels have no throttle plate, etc. The DS4 pump is all electronic. So, if you don't have any cruise control on your turn signal stalk, keep reading.

Unlike gas engines of old, you would need a module with vacuum pressure and extra cables to make cruise control happen. But, if you look down deep in the bowels of the wiring harness, you will see that your no-cruise control vehicle has provision for cruise anyway. The wires are in place already and lead to the ECM.

Depending upon your budget and abilities, you can add your own.

The one way to do it would be to get the OEM or aftermarket turn signal assembly for your model vehicle. The problem would be the price of that gadget. That can be a spendy item for most of us.

The second way would involve a soldering iron, radio shack switches, etc.

Once you find the wire harness connection that leads from the steering wheel down behind the instrument panel, you can wire in your own control.

Since I'm a van owner, I don't know how much of this holds true across which model years. With subscriptions online to the websites with info about your vehicle, this would be the best way to verify your application. I would hate to tell you what color wire it is, to find that it only applied to certain four wheel drive models, verses vans only, etc.

There are only four wires (at least in my application).

Cruise enable, resume/accel, set/coast, and the hot wire to drive these.

Following the wiring diagram would yield you the best results in your application. The purpose of this post is to let you know that "You too can have cruise control, even if you don't have it now".

Hope this helps to increase your enjoyment factor for those who are lacking in the cruise department right now. It sure helps in the fuel mileage situation too!

Back