• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Reese vs. Putnam

MattZ71

Tennessee Diesel's Mod
Reaction score
well im not for sure what class my hitch is, but it is a Reese i THINK that its a class 4 but not for sure, ill post a picture up tomorrow and im sure yall guys can tell me, but if its a 4 im going to get a class 5, so which hitch's are better Putnam or Reese??

Last edited:
Ill like Reese but Ive never had a Putnam.. I have a Hidden Hitch on my dually and Ive been happy with that as well. Mostly pull goosers though..

Last edited:
well here is a picture of my hitch from underneath its just got 3 bolts for each side i dont know if its a class 4 or 5 help me out guys

GetAttachment.aspx

Looks like a red X to me :yikes:

Last edited:
It works now, lemme go out and gander at mine, thats on your 97, right?

mine is a Reese it came factory on the truck 11 years ago they all came with Reese hitches from what i no, and your write, the Reese web site say that the class 5 hitches are 2.5 receivers but the hitch is 11 years old i didn't no if they had the 2.5 receivers then

It dosnt look like my class fives, but both the one on my 94 and one i got in the barn from a 96 K3500 are fives and they both have 3 bolts per side... Sorry Im no help

It dosnt look like my class fives, but both the one on my 94 and one i got in the barn from a 96 K3500 are fives and they both have 3 bolts per side... Sorry Im no help

so yours is class V's and have 3 bolts per side?

I have Putnam hitches on both of our trucks. Class V with a 2 inch opening. Held up to a few sled pulls so far, and you can't beat the price imo.

Just installed a xdr class 5 putnam on the dmax. 1 piece kinda goofy to put on with one person. Drop your spare too. Havent pulled with it yet so no feed back yet on that. But i need to make a mount for my wiring harness (the one thing the stocker has over the putnam imo) and it only has 6 bolts and its rated to 16k weight distributing. Stocker had 8 bolts but two of those were in the bumper as well so they both have the same amount bolted in the frame. It also has a 2 inch opening.

I have a reese class 5 on my half ton. It is a 3 piece and you cant see the crossbar unless your under the truck, unlike the putnam its crossbar is visible standing behind the truck. More of a looks thing or personal preference. The reese is rated for 10k weight distributing but it is on a half ton chevy (I know i need a bigger receiver for it). Before this hitch it just had a bumper mount hitch and the receiver is way better. I have towed quite a bit with this hitch, i dont remember what the rating was for non weight distributing but, I know i have been over that quite a bit and the hitch doesnt care about it, just the tranny and not enough brakes.

As for what is better I cant vouche for the putnam yet but i dont think im gonna break it. And for the reese it is also stout and the truck will break before it does.
Since your hitch is on a half ton it could be a class 4 or a low rated class 5. Not for sure though.

BTW the putnam cost me atleast 50 bucks less than the reese. I dont remember what i paid for the reese exactly but i do know it was quite a bit more expensive than the putnam.

I have an XDR on my truck too...I cut the plug mount off the old hitch and welded it on the new one...looks good too...i need to get some pictures of that one.

The original hitch is not even near a class 5, it is only rated for ~7K or so...Putnam is 16K Weight distributed...i am very pleased with the fit/finish and cost of the XDR...

I don't think you can beat the value per $ of the XDR. I've been towing quite a bit with it for the last 1 1/2 years and that's usually around 10 to 12 k (have been up to 16k occasionally). I'm more than happy with it except for the paint. I need to get some time with a sanding pad and spray can after 2 winters. I used the Putnam bracket for the connector that slips over the hitch crossmember and it's right where I need it. Some have drilled the bumper and that works pretty good too. I just wanted my connector close and didn't want to cut a hole. As to the Putnam install, it was a piece of cake. I just laid down on the creeper and had the hitch on my stomach/knees. The spare tire size is limited to about 31.5" with it though. I stuck a worn out 265 GY spare under there.

I don't think you can beat the value per $ of the XDR. I've been towing quite a bit with it for the last 1 1/2 years and that's usually around 10 to 12 k (have been up to 16k occasionally). I'm more than happy with it except for the paint. I need to get some time with a sanding pad and spray can after 2 winters. I used the Putnam bracket for the connector that slips over the hitch crossmember and it's right where I need it. Some have drilled the bumper and that works pretty good too. I just wanted my connector close and didn't want to cut a hole. As to the Putnam install, it was a piece of cake. I just laid down on the creeper and had the hitch on my stomach/knees. The spare tire size is limited to about 31.5" with it though. I stuck a worn out 265 GY spare under there.

hey! thats the best work benches!

Are there any labels or stamped numbers on the hitch that would indicate how much load it can carry? You might need a wire brush to scrape off any rust. If it is an OEM hitch, I doubt it would be a Class-V hitch. I don't think GM has ever had a Class-V OEM hitch. Being that old it might only be a Class-III. Check for numbers or lettering stamped on the hitch. All OEM hitches generally have some type of labeling on them.

If in doubt, I would replace it.

I have a Putnam XDR on mine and it's great.

Here are some pics of the wiring bracket I installed. I cut the stock bracket off of my original GM hitch. I had a friend cut and fab another piece to weld it to. Then I bolted it to the underside of my bumper. It will not bend like some of those flimsy aftermarket brackets will. Works and looks good.

hitchwiring001r1.jpg

hitchwiring003r2.jpg

hitchwiring002r.jpg

hitchwiring006r.jpg

Back