• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Reduction gear brushing teeths

Danish Farmer

Reaction score
Hi gyes

What could be wrong with my Silverado 6,5 4x4 1995 truck when the gears are scratching (or brushing teeths) when I try to mowe the reduction lever from the High group to the Low group. ?
It is impossible unless I shut the engine down. Is it an easy fix ?
I dont think my differential locks kicks in too, since when getting stuck only two wheels will spin. Somebody told me that it should engage by it self.

Thank you in adwance. Allways good help to find in here ;0)

//Max from Denmark

To shift the transfer case from high to low or low to high, you need to have the trans in neutral and be rolling about 2-5 MPH and move the lever firmly and swiftly. If you go to slow it will grind, if your not moving it can grind or just not shift, and if it is in gear it wil lnot shift and possibly damage the teeth in the planetary to the point they will never shift right again(seen a few that have been rounded out from trying to shift while it is in gear and they were TRASHED).

As therfermanator(jeez what a handle)says,tranny in neutral,shift from hi 4x4 in one swift motion to low 4x4.
From 4x4 high to 2 whl drive can be shifted on the go,again a swift pull on the stick.

on the diff lock,its normal to have 1 front and one rear wheel spin in 4x4 when stuck,unless you have a limited slip rear diff,then both wheels should pull,but not on the front axle cause you would not be able to steer if the diff would not be able to compensate.

Back