• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Recovery strap placement

Trailmaster01

Marshall
Reaction score
When choosing points to attach recovery(tow straps)...it must be to a point that is securely affixed to the vehicle...a nobrainer is to use factory tow hooks if they are available...

Here's the common mistakes:
1. Recovery chain, strap, etc. is attached to the bumper(and it's not aftermarket)
2. Attached to an A-arm, sway bar
3. Attached to a receiver hitch that is not properly rated
4. D-rings...shackles are used to secure the strap that are not rated at the level the strap is

Whenever factory tow hooks are not available....it is very difficult to properly secure a tow strap or chain. A general rule of thumb is to use common sense...everything that is part of your recovery tools(attachment point, strap, shackles, must be rated at or above the rest). For example, if you are using a 10K pound recovery strap, use a shackle that is rated at 10K or above.

Last edited:
I watched an idiot try to pull out a stuck XJ by wrapping a tow strap around the front axle. The Jeep had ended up backing into a ditch, and the driver's side front tire was up off the ground. That side of the front axle is where Einstein decided to wrap the tow strap and try to jerk the Jeep out.

I kept waiting for the front coil spring to pop out and kill someone, but decided to leave before it got too ugly.

I watched an idiot try to pull out a stuck XJ by wrapping a tow strap around the front axle. The Jeep had ended up backing into a ditch, and the driver's side front tire was up off the ground. That side of the front axle is where Einstein decided to wrap the tow strap and try to jerk the Jeep out.

I kept waiting for the front coil spring to pop out and kill someone, but decided to leave before it got too ugly.

It's amazing how many Einsteins are out there....I've seen that on a few occasions...but they never want to listen....I was going to mention that one in the Dos and Don'ts..I was..:yikes:

Last edited:
When choosing points to attach recovery(tow straps)...it must be to a point that is securely affixed to the vehicle...a nobrainer is to use factory tow hooks if they are available...

Here's the common mistakes:
1. Recovery chain, strap, etc. is attached to the bumper(and it's not aftermarket)
2. Attached to an A-arm, sway bar
3. Attached to a receiver hitch that is not properly rated
4. D-rings...shackles are used to secure the strap that are not rated at the level the strap is

Whenever factory tow hooks are not available....it is very difficult to properly secure a tow strap or chain. A general rule of thumb is to use common sense...everything that is part of your recovery tools(attachment point, strap, shackles, must be rated at or above the rest). For example, if you are using a 10K pound recovery strap, use a shackle that is rated at 10K or above.

Good write up, a few other things...

-Know the difference between a tow strap, and a Recovery Strap
-If you HAVE TO use chain, put something over the chain, IE- I have a duffel bag that I keep straps in, i hang it off when i use it.
- D Rings, Clevis', they all break, like it or not. Keep back.
- My rule of thumb, The person stuck, keep the wheels spinning, but not fast. Sometimes I will have the person put there hood up, if I dont fel comfortable with the setup.
- If you cant do it, you cant do it, better one broke rig than two.
- When I recover, I bring two rigs, Second rig carries extras, and are designated to recover me, if need be, not to hook anyone else.

Edit: Forgot to add most important. Flying hooks kill, Tie of the loop, dont hook the hook, many ways to do this, everyone knows one.

sounds good buddy, and dura, i believe you know me from DP, Bighearted SILVY, also on CNY club...

i remember you, i was also in the cny club. im starting to see alot of familiar faces... i think NY members are dominating this site :boxing_smiley: lol

thanks a lot xxres1cuexx.....good info....lifting the hood is a very good idea...but one that I imagine is not done very much

No matter how bad you think your truck is. try to have someone there to pull you out if you get stuck while pulling.
Like my friend who got stuck pulling on a 2wd chevy. It was fun driving in the rain across the parish to go pull him.. not
IMG_1959.jpg

And try not to rig up a strap like he did...

Can't say Louisiana's post is worthless without a pic.......It definately adds character.....good point and always let the smaller truck try to pull the original stuck truck...because I've seen all too many times that when...and there will be WHEn the recovery truck gets stuck....and the strap is taunt as hell and you can't relieve the tension...there are now two trucks stuck(obviously) but now you have to pull not one but two....and if the bigger one couldn't do it(USUALLY) bigger is better) the smaller one sure as hell aint gonna do it the first time let alone both....don't take for granted that any truck will do to do the pull(usually ego takes over)....because shit turns around fast...then you'll be kicking yourself.....think things through before just jumpin into stuff or else one would be inclined to do this.....:mad2:

Last edited:
Absolutely in agreement here. Nothing like throwing the dozer in the hole, and trying to pull it out with the lawn mower, if you know what I mean.

Check your supplies BEFORE you go offroad. Nothing is worse than being stuck, and finding out your strap is cut almost the whole way through from last time.

When pulling someone out, try to pull them from their hitch. Smart people, before playing in mud, will install a clevis (Get a twisted clevis if you have a choice) in their hitch. Take off the tow ball before you leave. That way, you have a good tow point that won't break. If they are stuck past the axles, try to hook your strap to them as high as you can (Flip your hitch) and hook to them as low as possible. This will pull the vehicle up and out a little, and has helped me pull out "unpullable trucks"

Got some time to play around? Get a winch. Make up a mount for it that installs in your towing hitch. (Use square tubing, and make good strong welds) Run jumper wires that will reach your battery over top of the truck and attach with alligator clips, and install a toggle switch to control it. REAL handy when someone gets stuck and they have no access. Pop it in their hitch, hook it up, and RRRRRRRRrrrrrrr. Done.

Don't only listen to advice of people there. In times of stuck-ed-ness, people get ballsy and stupid. It is your truck, do what you think is right. If you don't feel comfortable, stop. Listen to you.

Money saving tip!

One of your friends says he is going offroading? Unplug your phone. This will save you money in broken parts and trips to the car wash.

Bigger money saving tip!

Unplug your friends phones. Then they can't call you for friend #1 who is stuck in a giant, cow poop filled mud pit. Car wash prices may go down. Remember, call #1 = broken parts.

Huge money saving tip!

Unplug all phones in your neighborhood. No one will go offroading, and the prices of parts at the car parts stores will go down. Car washes may close, possible drawback.

Last edited:
good tip...so much for relying on the cell phone....I bet the towing company hangs up when they ask him where he's at

Speakin' of wheelin' pics...

I do have a ton of you and I wheelin down in Louisiana. I'll scan them tonight and post them up. Even some recovery operations...I'm sure you do remember...

Speakin' of wheelin' pics...

I do have a ton of you and I wheelin down in Louisiana. I'll scan them tonight and post them up. Even some recovery operations...I'm sure you do remember...

Ohh I remember...actually I was thinkin about that...I knew you had some...cause I really don't...yea that would be good....just keep me out of the picture..LOL..Actually send them to me first so I can see them

All Good points guys. One I want to add:

If you see something that just doesnt look right, The way the strap is hooked, where it is hooked, the condition, etc. dont let it go, SPEAK UP! Even if you are not involved with the recovery. People get killed every year because they dont know what they are getting into. Broken straps with truck parts attached can do some real damage. Get the kids out of the truck and a safe distance away, move bystanders and Gawkers back, people will want to be right up where the action is, with no fear for thier own lives. Ok, I am done preaching. Check this video out, look at the people standing next to the pulling truck, no cares in the world, even though a 500+hp truck is bunny hopping right at em at 6500RPM

click to play

Back