• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

recommended brand of torsion bars....

Odlaw

Redneck
Reaction score
hey guys, I've got a sick torsion bar on driver side. It was sagging right after i bought the truck. Had the t bars turned up slightly (about 1" of lift) and an alignment. 1 year later driver side sagging again. Three months ago had keys installed with 3" blocks in rear... they were actually able to turn the tbars down a bit in the front (i wanted about 1-1 1/2 " of rake back in the truck. Truck rode great and looked awesome. Last week i thought the left front looked like it sagging again. Put the truck on level concrete and checked with a tape measure - from bottom center of each front fender. FR was at 42 inches, FL was a little less than 41. Took it to my alignment guy and he says the passenger side has plenty of adjustment left and the driver side only has two threads...... and that i need to replace the torsion bars... so, i say all that to ask if there is a preferred brand or is this one of those " only get oem" parts? I have a friend that is the parts manager at the stealership and i can get em through him for 215.45 each.... which still seems high to me.

thanks

Just get New OE Replacements.

I don't even think there is an Aftermarket Company for Torsion Bars.

I have heard you can get heavier ones for snow plows etc but they are still factory ones. Dealer or gm parts direct once you get the right part number are options. Might could ask a lift company what they buy and recommend but I did not see anything googling have always been curious about this subject.

Only other tip I have heard is maybe get some timbren stops to help bottoming out. The rear bump stops are a joke compared to Timbrens and think the front helps too but not as much.

Here is a article I saw seemed fair.

http://www.gmfullsize.com/tech/torsion401.html

very good article, thanks.

Smitty

I have heard you can get heavier ones for snow plows etc but they are still factory ones. Dealer or gm parts direct once you get the right part number are options. Might could ask a lift company what they buy and recommend but I did not see anything googling have always been curious about this subject.

Only other tip I have heard is maybe get some timbren stops to help bottoming out. The rear bump stops are a joke compared to Timbrens and think the front helps too but not as much.

Here is a article I saw seemed fair.

http://www.gmfullsize.com/tech/torsion401.html

Back