• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rebuilt injectors just won't stop making noise and smoke

Steve93mustanglx

Diesel fanatic!
Reaction score
Take a look at these pics please- I just removed a 3rd bad rebuilt injector a few weeks ago. My 150,000 mile originals NEVER gave me any issues. I replaced them "cuz I was living on borrowed time". Well, this is the 3rd time I have yanked the turbo to do this and quite frankly, it's getting old.

Here are a couple pics. pic 1 is driver's side, 1-7 cylinders (left to right). pic 2 is turbo side, left to right cyl 8-2.

Cylinder 1 is an old injector I swapped 2 weeks ago and it has been in for easily 600 miles.

I don't see anything here that screams "bad injector", but the noise under acceleration(fuel knock) and smoke at idle (occasional only) are driving me nuts.

No fuel leaks anywhere. No change in fuel stations. Tried to purge any air in system. Lift pump OK. Fuel filter 1 month old. Thoughts?

Attachments

• ****ing injectors 4 Sep 2010 002.jpg
    ****ing injectors 4 Sep 2010 002.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 16
  • ****ing injectors 4 Sep 2010 001.jpg
    ****ing injectors 4 Sep 2010 001.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 10
Where did you get the rebuilt squirts from???

Sounds like maybe the rebuilder has issues ??? I use a local Stanadyne approved shop to do my 6.2/6.5 stuff and never have any issues.

MGW

Did you replace the PCM chip since the injectors? Or did you have the new chip and FTB mod done with the old injectors too? Are the injectors stock, or marine nozzles and at what pop pressure?

What is your TDCO set at? Has anything else changed since the injectors or at same time, like OPS relay, ect...

Stock rebuilds. 2100 psi pop. OPS done WAY before injectors. I have not changed TDCO... have never touched that, in fact. Was hoping for Turbine Doc to swing by and assist! :)

The chip was before the injectors, but... the FTB may have been after. Need to look at my maintenance spreadsheet...

I hear you- and if I had been given the run around, I would say so. Fact is- I haven't; the guy has been stand up all the way. He has offered to swap out complete set. I just need to get them sent back.

I don't want to publicly trash anyone with good customer service. If I get the replacements and they suck too, I will gladly say the company here in the forum. Hope you understand where I'm coming from.

Looking at them in a picture doesn't mean squat. It's all in how they spray. If the nozzles are made from crappy material , it can't take the heat and will distort causing a bad spray pattern or just a stream. I rebuilt a set that was burnt. The steel in the nozzle had turned black and would not clean off.

Is it possible you are just getting the normal popping noise, diesel clatter now, whereas before it was popping so easy you didnt have the clatter? Did you do the exhaust recently too? After I opened up the exhaust and the intake I noticed a lot more engine noise.

Should find out what type of nozzles are used, and if not Bosch Germany dont accept them.

Bosch Germany. Nope- exhaust is 3 almost 4 years old now. The clutter was louder at idle, which I expected, but the fuel knock was LOUD. And the smoke at idle also says something is outta whack...

How long did you run the truck after putting them in ? It takes a good half hour of driving before everything quiets down. GMCTD went into a big thing on why but every set I have done on a 6.5 sounded horrible at startup and took a good 1/2 drive and then sounded fine.

oh... 3 months or so. :) The answer I think you are after is varied- sometimes 20 minutes, sometimes an hour, sometimes 3 hours. Never was consistent tho. Sometimes loud, sometimes not. Sometimes smoke, sometimes not.

The crazy thing is I put all the old 150K mile units back in last Saturday. Runs quieter than before, no smoke at idle, and better mileage so far (although 1 day REALLY doesnt count)

You may have dirt in one of the injectors by you, shipping, or the rebuild shop. Maybe even moving the lines broke something free.

You should also think about the time it takes to break a set of injectors in.

Last, your timing is changing with new vs. old injectors.

I would send them back to be tested. Then go from there. In my case I found the other problem, but, I knew the injectors were not the cause after testing.

Bending the lines was on my mind, and the sellers. It sure could have dislodged something, but I barely bent them, to the point the were still a pain to work around.

After 3 or 4,000 miles.... shouldn't they be broken in?

As for timing... I have never done that on a diesel. Hence my hoping I could grab Turbine Doc for help on his way back to MS!

If you only gently pushed them out of the way enough to change the nozzles you should be fine with the lines. Sounds like dirt got in or bad nozzles.

Sorry your having troubles with them. When I did mine,, I did the easy side first. Then fired up the truck for a minute, shut it down, then did the other side. I must of gotten luck, as it started really easy after each side, ran smooth, with no stumbling, no knocking, no smoking, and the motor acted like it did before I changed them. I had my pop set to 2250, all within 25psi of each other. I got to watch the guy do them, and see all of the spray patterns. Very Interesting to see the difference from 1800 psi to 2200psi!!

Back