• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rebuilding starter? Parts?

Pruittx2

Been around a bit
Reaction score
Ok,, So twice now,, after running the Burb,, I go to restart,, and get a click, click. :mad2: Everything is tight, and up to snuff, Battery wise, Battery cable wise,, So I'm 99% sure, I'm experiencing heat soak. If I lift the hood, and let it breath for a 10 min period, it'll start right up.

Exhibit A: Today, 84F towing the mower on small trailer, air condition on,, for over 30 mins,, temp guage is around 195F~200F,, shut it down, in driveway, 15 mins later,, click click,,, no start. Open hood for a few mins,, try, try try click click,, the Vroom starts. :thumbsup:

So,, where do I get a quality started rebuild kit?,,, and a great solenoid??? I'll have time in a few days, when school get's out, and I park the school bus for 3 months.

So hook me up, gentleman, with where you get your parts,,, for this rebuild,,, and I'll how you up, with quality pics, and a great sticky worthy post, for you time. :agreed:

It could be a solenoid, or it could be a bad spot in the windings some wheres.

When you turn the key watch the voltage gauge. if it clicks and the gauge drops pretty far, then the solenoid is working, and the starter has a shorted spot in it. Basically shorting the batteries to ground.

If it clicks and the gauge doesn't move, then the solenoid is not conducting power from the starter cable to the starter motor.

My K-5's starter has a bad spot and you can see it in the voltage gauge. When it "clicks" the voltage gauge drops to around 8 or so until i let go of the key. When i hear the click i immediately let go of the key as to not damage the batteries. I've got to get around to replacing the starter, but overall it cost me under $50 so i got my money's worth.

How old is the starter?

Is it original or been rebuilt?

If it has high miles the bendix, bushings or solenoid contacts could be worn.

For peace of mind, if you can get it to "click click" at home, drop the bell housing cover and verify the starter engaged fully. If it is all the way out, then suspect the contacts in the solenoid. You can try to inspect them, but the risk of breaking the cap is high. Make sure you have access to one if needed.

That would help determine if you need a solenoid or a complete rebuild.

Well at a 130,000 babied miles,,, Me thinks it's the original GM starter,, So I'll just buy a good solenoid, and a rebuild kit for starter. But where to order them from, that I won't get chit china parts?

Consider a rebulid, I got mine from a local rebulider.

If one is in the area, check them out. I saved about $80 over ordering one at the parts store.

Soleniod, brush set, bearings, ect. The cost adds up and if the armature is bad, you're in a bad spot.

Back