• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rear stabilizer bar

matuva

Tropical 6.5er
Reaction score
New Caledonia. An island in south west pacific, cl
I'm experiencing oversteer and tire drift with my Blazer.

Front sway link are new, the front sway bar looks good, but I remark there is no stabilizer bar on the rear suspension.

Does it exist an OEM setup or a kit I can install to cure these problems?

Usually OEMs default to the under steer side to keep non-drivers out of trouble. Hence no rear stabilizer on most stuff. Review your tire pressures and leaf spring bushing condition.

Adding a rear bar will usually make a car/truck more 'pointy' and actually add over steer.

So I understand it feels like its plowing through a turn and the body rolls or tilts like its top heavy.

My extended cab pickup does not have a rear sway bar and it doesn't feel bad. I would tend to think its soft suspension and shock related. Sway bars might help but won't cure spongy suspension.

What about shackle bushing and A-arm bushings? Are they allowing too much flex?

OP said oversteer.

That's the rear end "stepping out" on turns.

Understeer is the front end "plowing out".

oversteer-understeer.jpg

Manufacturers build to a tendancy to oversteer.

To the original question of where can I get a sway bar:

A suburban/tahoe/yukon/Denalli/etc rear sway bar is easily adapted to a truck without one. I know several people that have put them on pickups with good results in both driving and towing.

Aftermarket ones are available from companies like Bell. They used to have a fair selection, but the gmt400 platform is getting old and aftermarket parts are drying up. Someone like Hellwig might also be an option. You need to dig around a bit.

I know the difference without your pictures..

The OE SUV's I've driven plow (understeer) into the corners like a sled. You must have a different driving style.

I know the difference without your pictures..

The OE SUV's I've driven plow (understeer) into the corners like a sled. You must have a different driving style.

To clarify, I was not singling you out. The Op was talking about oversteer and where to get a sway bar, then several people started talking about how he had understeer.

Clearly not what he said.

All I did was attempt to bring it back to bear on the topic at hand and not point fingers at anyone.

But since you want to "go there", OEM's build their vehicle to oversteer. Without going into details of suspension design, that's why rear track tends to be narrower than front on vehicles.

Either way, I'm done with the discussion.

My Tahoe has a rear sway bar , I think all Tahoe's and Suburbans had them .

Back