• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

rear end swap

Missouri-amature

Reaction score
im currently in the process of swapping out a 10 bolt, 8.5", 5 lug rear end from my 88 chevy Cheyenne C1500, with a 14 bolt, 9.5", 6 lug rear end from a 89 chevy Silverado C2500 light duty, my only things that i am not sure about so far is the u joint on a steel 3 joint drive shaft and the u bolts.

That's also the odd ball extra narrow 9.5" rear axle. Most 9.5" diffs use the 1350 joint, but you're going to have to get out your micrometer and measure the shaft side and diff side, and find a bastard joint to match. As to ubolts, advance auto normally carries some, but most just re-use the ones from the donor.

YUP, it will be an off set U~Joint, meaning, the trunions on one side will be bigger than the ones on the other side.
You might also need to know the width and if they are inside or outside retainers.
the yoke on the differential will usually have a tab in each saddle that the trunions fits in to keep the trunions from flying out.
Last ones I got when doing the 3/4 differential swap into a K1500 was from oriellys.

Back