• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

rear end piece broke, HELP!!

05lly2500hd

Recruit
Reaction score
tires were dragging on left turns, so I pulled off the rear diff. cover to look.
Pinion and ring seem fine, there are 4 gears inside the "carrier" (not sure of proper terms) the gear on the driver's side axle has another gear behind it with many maybe even hundreds of smaller "grooves"....that piece is cracked in several spots and many teeth broken off. What is this piece and where can i get it and can I replace it myself?? Please help asap!!! Thanks!!

Does it have a locker? Did you pull out your axle shafts? You can pull them by just unbolting them without taking off the wheels. You might have stripped the gears if you spun a shaft.

I have a unit coming from Burkhard's. Thanks!

No I didn't pull the axles, just gonna replace the entire unit.

that is the locking unit for the posi trac. there should also be a funky looking small drum that is part of it mounted on a shaft. it all works on inertia. but glad tony hooked you up

Back