• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rear dually tire sizes

I have heard this many times......... "they're turning at the same speed", "they are always in contact in the same place".....on and on. My answer has always been the same.......... do tires absorb shock from the road? Do they give and take? YES on both counts. So even if the tires are so big that they rub all the way around their circumfrence (most only rub at the point facing the road, where they "mushroom" or "swell") then when they absorb shock and give & take from road irregularities, is friction not going to take place? It's elementry physics, yes there will be friction. More to pint, all roads have rocks.......no matter how small, that can get inbetween the tires. If they are that tight then a rock can rub a hole in the side wall easy. When you are loaded to the max and traveling at a good "clip" down the road, is it worth to take a chance on "I'm gonna be bullheaded and do try it just because I am so smart" ....will it matter to that family of four when you do blow a tire and jack kinfe it into their car?
I'm not trying to call anyone wrong, just food for thought.
I drive defensively every time I get in a vehicle, no matter what kind it is. I LOOK and EXPECT something to go wrong so I am ALWAYS READY. That means checking my tires in my truck and my wifes minivan periodically and before we go anywhere as well as oil, trans, water..etc to insure I AM READY!:thumbsup:

I have heard this many times......... "they're turning at the same speed", "they are always in contact in the same place".....on and on. My answer has always been the same.......... do tires absorb shock from the road? Do they give and take? YES on both counts. So even if the tires are so big that they rub all the way around their circumfrence (most only rub at the point facing the road, where they "mushroom" or "swell") then when they absorb shock and give & take from road irregularities, is friction not going to take place? It's elementry physics, yes there will be friction. More to pint, all roads have rocks.......no matter how small, that can get inbetween the tires. If they are that tight then a rock can rub a hole in the side wall easy. When you are loaded to the max and traveling at a good "clip" down the road, is it worth to take a chance on "I'm gonna be bullheaded and do try it just because I am so smart" ....will it matter to that family of four when you do blow a tire and jack kinfe it into their car?
I'm not trying to call anyone wrong, just food for thought.
I drive defensively every time I get in a vehicle, no matter what kind it is. I LOOK and EXPECT something to go wrong so I am ALWAYS READY. That means checking my tires in my truck and my wifes minivan periodically and before we go anywhere as well as oil, trans, water..etc to insure I AM READY!:thumbsup:
:iagree:

JP

They both blow = double flat on one side = maybe hurt innocent people = call roadside tire repair = $500 = Make sure they don't rub if your towing.

Tires not rubbing is just a saftety precaution. Doesn't mean they WILL blow, but its increased tire strain on the weakest part of the tire.

Ever get an object stuck in between your 2 tires?

Could be worse with touching tires, where when mushroom effect squeezes together on the weakest part of the tire...

Its just a safety PRECAUTION is all...

WE've all seen, and probably done worse.

Tires not rubbing is just a saftety precaution. Doesn't mean they WILL blow

Its just a safety PRECAUTION is all...

WE've all seen, and probably done worse.

It's happened to me, twice...........It will go, just as I described, maybe not right away, but given enough time the heat will break down the side wall and then, BOOM......double blow out, that sounds like a mini bomb.

Believe what you want...Been there, done that and bought the T-shirt.

It's happened to me, twice...........It will go, just as I described, maybe not right away, but given enough time the heat will break down the side wall and then, BOOM......double blow out, that sounds like a mini bomb.

When I chose a new tire size, i went with a size that didn't rub without the expensive spacers.

I like safety.

They always make safety to protect the 1% who actually use things to the limits. this in effect covers everyone, including blanketing the potential lawsuits.

That said. I use to tow cars for a few years back in the 90's. When a vehicle is on the wheelift, there is a tremendous amount of bouncing effect from the weight of the vehicle in tow, the weight transfering compounding effects of vehicle in tows suspension bouncing on the wheelift, enough so to lift the front end of your vehicle upwards quite easily.

I use to be able to get the front tires of a 454 chevy off teh ground just by hitting the brakes and timing the brake pulses to maximize the bounce effect.

So you probably stress rear tires more so than a heavy 5'er or traditional trailer.

Still not saying its safe, or recommended, or that I would do it, or recommend anyone else do it.

But it probably is the reason why you have had it happen twice. Just conversation....

After all the surgeries I finally got around to ordering the 1/2" wheel spacers. Today I took the truck to the place where I bought the tires to install them.

They pulled the center hub cap and found that the lug nuts are already at the end of the wheel stud. It has a long nut with the outside threads to install the hub cap. There is absolutely no extra threads.

I called the place where I bought the spacers and his tech manual says that with the 14mm studs that you have to have 7 1/2 turns on the stud with the nut and after that it doesn't matter.

What do you folks think? Does this sound right?

After all the surgeries I finally got around to ordering the 1/2" wheel spacers. Today I took the truck to the place where I bought the tires to install them.

They pulled the center hub cap and found that the lug nuts are already at the end of the wheel stud. It has a long nut with the outside threads to install the hub cap. There is absolutely no extra threads.

I called the place where I bought the spacers and his tech manual says that with the 14mm studs that you have to have 7 1/2 turns on the stud with the nut and after that it doesn't matter.

Personally never heard of anyone adding spacers without changing to longer studs and no way in hell would i run mine with only the amount you listed as them saying was adequate....no sir, not one mile down the road for me

FYI. I've been running mine that way for a couple of years with NO problems. AND, my gooseneck trailer loaded with hay, a bulldozer, or a medium sized tractor will weigh 25,000 pounds +-. That's a gross weight of around 33,000. Don't do that every day, but fairly regularly.... Just my $.02

It sounds to me like if you put 1/2 inch spacers in and you're lug nots are only going to go on half an inch less than they were, then you must only have half your lugnuts threads caught. And that doesn't seem safe or intelligent in my book.
When I first upsized my tires and started looking into spacers, it didn't take long before I realized I needed bolt on spacers. My studs in stock form didn't even protrude thru the ends of my lug nuts.
FWIW, I'd rather have my tires rubbing than have my lugnuts barely on.
I've read a lot about tire rub and theres plenty of experts who say its an old wives tale, but I still believe old wives tales, so I try to keep my tires apart. My $90 bolt on spacers were worth it to me for peace of mind, cheaper than one tire and makes it look good too. I can't help but think it gives me a bit better tractionby spreading the tires out either in a rut or when searching for purchase on a slippery spot.

I finally ordered some 2" spacers with studs from Red's after ordering and returning another set off Ebay that didnot fit. The inner bore would not let them go on all the way.

Two spacers are on and so far no problems. It takes some getting used to in turns around sharp corners. The wide stance causes curb bounce. I guess it is a conscious thing we do and have change that habit to get used to.

I hear what you are saying, but it's not really about tire wear at the rub point, it's more about additional heat concentrated into one area of the tire which can weaken the sidewall. In this case Sarge is talking about hauling a 14K trailer which only exacerbates the problem. A blowout at 65mph with an additional 14K in tow is no picnic. Many say, "I do this all the time with no issues," but it only has to happen to you once, and that's one too many times...just my opinion.
JP
Tell me about it, Jeff. When I was hauling my cypress lumber from La. to Mo. for my cabin, I had a blowout on the right rear going down hill at nearly 80 mph, with a total weight of about 30K) It was spooky for a while):h

I finally ordered some 2" spacers with studs from Red's after ordering and returning another set off Ebay that didnot fit. The inner bore would not let them go on all the way.

Two spacers are on and so far no problems. It takes some getting used to in turns around sharp corners. The wide stance causes curb bounce. I guess it is a conscious thing we do and have change that habit to get used to.
Sgt, exactly what do you mean by curb bounce?

Does the larger tire effect MPG or power adversely?

Sgt, exactly what do you mean by curb bounce?

When turning corners the wide stance makes the turn different and I hit the curb especially if it is a tight turn. I guess my brain hasn't compensated for the different stance width.

Does the larger tire effect MPG or power adversely?

Not that I can tell. The tire height is very little difference. The speedometer when compared to a GPS speed is about 2 mph off at 70 mph.

Back