• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rear dually tire sizes

SFC Cobb

Jesus Freak
Reaction score
I have an 03 dually and it has stock wheels and tire sizes. They are 215X85R-16. I was wondering if anyone has gone up to the 235X85 tires and had any tire clearance issues (between the duallys) when loaded heavy.

If you did was the issue related to a particular brand of tire?

It is going to very from tire to tire honestly. I've seen some 235 rub and others have half an inch. I was running 245's on my dually and everyone said those would rub but they never came close. Cooper Discover ATR's should fit 235's or 245's anything wider you'll for sure need a spacer.

I ran 235 Uniroyal Laredos HD's without any rubbing unless loaded really heavy and hitting big bumps. I have since moved up to 265's with 2" spacers. I move to the 265's for a higher load rating on the tire.

How thick of a spacer can be installed on the dually rear wheels without having to use a spacer with the lug bolts on them?

Just a guess but any more than .5" would be risky as you loose lug threads. The spacer would also need to be hub centric with a lip on it that would hold the outside rim hub centric, as the axle tapers at that point.

That is about what I was thinking. Thanks for your input.

The total width difference is 20 mm or .78 in. A 1/2 in won't get all the space back but very close to it.

How thick of a spacer can be installed on the dually rear wheels without having to use a spacer with the lug bolts on them?

I've had 1/2" spacers on mine for a couple of years with no problems......:thumbsup:

Do you have 235/85R16 tires on your truck? How much load do you haul?

235/85 R16. I don't actually "haul" much in the truck itself but I haul around a small bulldozer, some big tractors, hay, etc. on a gooseneck trailer. It's not unusual for me gross 32,000-34,000 pounds.......:eek:

That is a lot of wt on the truck also. If you are not rubbing with that much load then I shouldn't have a problem with around 14K.

Thanks.

Sarge,
I'm bettin' any tire larger than the stock 215s are gonna rub between the duals, especially if you load 14K on it! There are some tires that are 235s that are not as wide as other 235s and may not touch (dual to dual) when empty and aired up to 80lbs.

I think you can get away with 3/8 maybe 1/2 spacers without the lip. I can't remember how far the hub extends out before it decreases in diameter. After about a 1/2" spacer you have to jump to 1.5" spacers which have their own studs and lugs with the lip to keep the outter wheel centered. According to Fred, anything less than 1.5" and there is not enough material to hold the studs.

I always suggest trying the tires first, hooking up your load and check the clearance....before.... you head out on that 1000mile trip. Once you see how much clearance you have then decide if you want spacers or not. Make sure you check the clearance between the side walls and not the tread.

JP

Currently with the BF Goodrich tires there is a little over an inch of space. The space has been decreased by 20 mm which is .787 in. with the new tires. I figure that by adding a 1/2 in. spacer would get all but .287 back in the space. That way I only lost just over a 1/4 in. There shouldn't be a clearance issue with that is my thinking.

I always suggest trying the tires first, hooking up your load and check the clearance....before.... you head out on that 1000mile trip. Once you see how much clearance you have then decide if you want spacers or not. Make sure you check the clearance between the side walls and not the tread.

JP

Chalk the sidewall of the inside tire and go for a drive. Will help you decide if a spacer is needed or not.

I don't really see what all the fuss is about anyway; I ran a set of 235's on the back of mine for a long time before I put the spacers in. They rubbed each other just a little bit, but all that I could tell that it did was make the sidewalls a little shiny-like rubbing a curb. Put 50,000 miles on the 1st set and no damage at all. Just my experience.......

I don't really see what all the fuss is about anyway; I ran a set of 235's on the back of mine for a long time before I put the spacers in. They rubbed each other just a little bit, but all that I could tell that it did was make the sidewalls a little shiny-like rubbing a curb. Put 50,000 miles on the 1st set and no damage at all. Just my experience.......
I hear what you are saying, but it's not really about tire wear at the rub point, it's more about additional heat concentrated into one area of the tire which can weaken the sidewall. In this case Sarge is talking about hauling a 14K trailer which only exacerbates the problem. A blowout at 65mph with an additional 14K in tow is no picnic. Many say, "I do this all the time with no issues," but it only has to happen to you once, and that's one too many times...just my opinion.
JP

I hear what you are saying, but it's not really about tire wear at the rub point, it's more about additional heat concentrated into one area of the tire which can weaken the sidewall. In this case Sarge is talking about hauling a 14K trailer which only exacerbates the problem. A blowout at 65mph with an additional 14K in tow is no picnic. Many say, "I do this all the time with no issues," but it only has to happen to you once, and that's one too many times...just my opinion.
JP

Everybody is certainly entitled to their own opinion........ Since they are both turning at the same speed, I just don't see it being a big deal. Plus, I would guess the higher load rating of the 235 would more than offset any danger from heat build up. BTW, it's not unusual for me to pull a trailer weighing over 25,000 pounds. Again, just my experience.......:thumbsup:

I just installed a set of 235/85's and they don't seem to be much closer to rubbing than my 225/75's were. I still have a good 1/2 inch, tire pressure at 55 (80psi tires), and I never hooked up a heavy trailer.

Dunlop R/V M/S pretty beefy tread too.

I been running 235/85-16's for years now loaded as heavy as you can load a dually. Have never had a rub or tire issue.
That's just the facts from my end of the world.

Back