• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rear differential oil ?

hmm interesting I changed mine at 55K and it smelled good. like grape juice. only a few shavings in mine. I did have the dealer change the fluid after 5K though

I just changed mine over to amsoil. I added some of the slip lock when I did it just to prevent possible chatter. I recently heard we arent supposed to use the slip lock but I dont have confirmation yet. gonna do the front diff as soon as I get a manual pump to fill it,

Since we use a synthetic gear oil no additives are needed. I also used the Amsoil severe gear oil with no additives. Works great. Amsoil has a nifty application chart on their web page. it comes in handy when trying to get the correct weight and spec.:D

AMSOIL ONLINE PRODUCT APPLICATION GUIDE - amsoiloaf.2338652290

nice thats good info there. oh well I have the slip lock in there. guess i'll find out if its bad or not eventually

I know some guys say you shouldnt change it, but at least check it. There had been a real problem with the differential having only 2 or 3 quarts of fluid from the factory when it should have nearly 4. I changed mine out to Mobil 1 synthetic at 500 miles. The factory stuff stunk and I already had some metal flakes on the magnet/plug.

better safe than sorry! Im about to change mine and im only at 14,000. I'll Probably go with Mobil or Lucas.

I know some guys say you shouldnt change it, but at least check it. There had been a real problem with the differential having only 2 or 3 quarts of fluid from the factory when it should have nearly 4. I changed mine out to Mobil 1 synthetic at 500 miles. The factory stuff stunk and I already had some metal flakes on the magnet/plug.

Both front and rear were low from the factory on mine .

Highly recommend you change that oil. Both front and rear 75w90 (front), 75w110-75-140 Amsoil, Mobile 1, Royal Purple are all fine in the rear diff. You are probably 1.5 quarts low too. I would change it ASAP.

Agreed, although I'm running Amsoil 75w-90 Severe Gear front and rear. For some info on comparing gear oils check this link

Got a round to changing mines to Mobil 1 75-90 syn LS. Had little chatter before the change...not any more. Glad to have done it.

Hey guys, interested in knowing two things, how does Royal Purple 75w/90 hold up with the G80 rear differential??? Would changing the cover to lets say a MagHytec at the same time be better for the rear end??? I heard you have to put 6-7 quarts for that rear end cover.

Hey guys, interested in knowing two things, how does Royal Purple 75w/90 hold up with the G80 rear differential??? Would changing the cover to lets say a MagHytec at the same time be better for the rear end??? I heard you have to put 6-7 quarts for that rear end cover.

Changing the cover to an aluminum one with cooling fins will help reduce the operating temperatures.

As far as fluid goes, check out this testing and see what you think.

Test Results Here

So overall Royal Purple is a good differential oil!!!

According to the White Paper test results, RP performed third from last overall out of 14 products tested, beating out only the Mopar and Lucas products. The numbers indicate the ranking, 1 being first place and 14 being last.

Valvoline's dino oil outperformed RP overall in this testing sequence.

i might have missed it but are we saposed to put slip lock in the rear or not? and from what i read it would be fine o run 75W-90 front and rear?

i might have missed it but are we saposed to put slip lock in the rear or not? and from what i read it would be fine o run 75W-90 front and rear?
No additive needed in the G80 locker. Just the synthetic gear oil. And yes, 75W90 front and rear is good. Many of us have been using Mobil 1 75W90 F & R for alot of miles and in multiple trucks.

No additive needed in the G80 locker. Just the synthetic gear oil. And yes, 75W90 front and rear is good. Many of us have been using Mobil 1 75W90 F & R for alot of miles and in multiple trucks.

I agree 75w-90 Severe Gear is in both of mine front and rear, no additive necessary.

I have 75W-90 Severe Gear in both front and back and its noticable the difference. Front had 102k on it back had 62k and T-Case had 102k. Now that its all changed its quieter and smoother. Amsoil is what you want guys it is the best of the best.

After Christmas I'm going to change my Front & Rear diff fluids, I have 50K on my truck now and I've never changed it, which isn't a good thing.

After Christmas I'm going to change my Front & Rear diff fluids, I have 50K on my truck now and I've never changed it, which isn't a good thing.
No it isn't. Did you at least check the rear? They usually came from the factory about 2 qts low (of the 4 needed).
Now you're gonna feel even worse... Aren't you?:eek:

No it isn't. Did you at least check the rear? They usually came from the factory about 2 qts low (of the 4 needed).
Now you're gonna feel even worse... Aren't you?:eek:

Yes, I've checked it. It's dead on, but it's the original....

Back