• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rear differential noise

Chevy6.5

Reaction score
A few months ago when I would start from a dead stop in my 1997 6.5 Chevy silverado, it started making a like a "clunk" from what sounded like the rear differential. It would also jerk. Here recently it started just doing it when I put it in drive. And it didn't do it all the time. I also just realized it looks like it is leaking into the driver side brakes. It was time for a fluid change anyways so I took the back cover off and drained the fluid and there was only about a quart and a half in there. I'm not sure how much is supposed to be in there, haven't looked it up yet. I took some videos (which I'll post as soon as their done uploading) of me turning it by hand and you can hear what I'm talking about. What do you guys think? Beaings?

Needs to be ripped apart and check the bearings, gears, etc. obviously new seals and re set up. Due to your asking, I assess you have not enough experience nor the specific tools for this job. If you are in the Vegas area, I could recommend an amazing shop - Adam’s Driveshaft. If a ways from here, find a shop with a stellar reputation and pay them. Don't try the $75 cheaper estimate on this, quality parts and skills makes all the difference and you will be re doing it in a year.

Don’t put it off too long, parts damage gets expensive.

If that is a 14 bolt FF then there is a better option than the crush sleeve it's a spacer replacing the crush sleeve with with disks to adjust once set no worry of crush sleeve going out of spec which is common..........

Needs to be ripped apart and check the bearings, gears, etc. obviously new seals and re set up. Due to your asking, I assess you have not enough experience nor the specific tools for this job. If you are in the Vegas area, I could recommend an amazing shop - Adam’s Driveshaft. If a ways from here, find a shop with a stellar reputation and pay them. Don't try the $75 cheaper estimate on this, quality parts and skills makes all the difference and you will be re doing it in a year.

Don’t put it off too long, parts damage gets expensive.
You are correct; definitely not enough experience or correct tools! I was hoping it would be something minor that I could do myself with the tools I have. I have an excellent mechanic just up the road I can take it to. Thanks so much for the advice; I've found this site super helpful!

Since there is gear oil at the driver side brakes...it's most likely an axle seal gone bad causing your rear differential to be low on oil which is causing the sound you are hearing. You didn't mention the mileage on the truck, how it is used or which rear axle you have or whether it is a 1500, 2500, etc.

Since there is gear oil at the driver side brakes...it's most likely an axle seal gone bad causing your rear differential to be low on oil which is causing the sound you are hearing. You didn't mention the mileage on the truck, how it is used or which rear axle you have or whether it is a 1500, 2500, etc.
It has 323xxx miles, 2500, it's an 8 lug axle; 4:10 gear ratio. It hasn't been used much the past year but before that we used it for 10 years in our lawncare business. Could the drum brakes locking up have anything to do with gear oil leaking in?

I checked the ujoint and it felt tight. They were just replaced 5 ago years or so. And the differential is one we pulled off what a appeared to be an old farm truck at a upull it place. So it's not original and I don't know how many miles is on it.

If you rather do a junkyard swap rather than rebuild you can but price out having it done first imo. But now is the time to do the rear disk upgrade if you want it too by getting a junkyard one. There’s threads here on a couple people doin it.

If you rather do a junkyard swap rather than rebuild you can but price out having it done first imo. But now is the time to do the rear disk upgrade if you want it too by getting a junkyard one. There’s threads here on a couple people doin it.
Could you send me the links to the threads, I'm not finding them, thanks.

Back