• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rear A/C Condenser Location

Rodd

Recruit
Reaction score
Just swapped the accumulator, compressor, and orifice in the burb and the rear condenser is plugged. front A/C is fine but the rear a/c blows hot which means the rear condenser is probably plugged. I know it's in the rear passenger side somewhere because I see it dripping water after use. How to I get at it?

For the '98 Burb, all the rear A/C guts are in the enclosed rear 'cabinet' along the passenger's side from the 3'rd row to the tailgate. IIRC, start by taking off the screws on the top panels and then the screws along the 'wall' panels.

From what I recall, it is equally possible that a valve is stuck as I remember that my mechanic mentioned that he was able to get it free without needing to find a replacement for the NLA part.

At the risk of insulting, might consider replacing the dryer as well, especially if the system works for a short while and then starts to struggle.

Thanks Jay. The front works fine. The rear struggled but worked before the compressor died. Do you recall if the valve that got stuck was up front in the engine compartment or back by the rear condenser? The dryer was replaced. I replaced everything but the condensers. And I'm not insulted.

Based on conversation at the time, the valve was in the rear compartment as the mechanic's coments were along the lines of 'While I was in there I found that . . .' when he went after the rear system.

Perhaps @theferminator will stumble across this and give better details :)

You likely need to flush the line going to the rear evaporator. Debris from a failed compressor is a common cause of plugging the screen on the rear TXV. What did the orface tube look like? The rear will be just as bad, but, it has a smaller screen. I have taken to installing 15-10413 (GM p/n 89016656) inline filters as I HATE ripping the clogged TXV's out.

Door motors can fail stuck in heat so check the in and out pipe temps on the rear evaporator. If one is way warmer than the other the TXV has issues.

In depth repair info for the rear is located here.

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/th...s-it-has-a-thermal-expansion-valve-txv.23287/

If the compressor died, then chances are real good that tiny screen inside the expansion valve is plugged. I do NOT reccomend touching the lines underneath that hook to the rear evaporator(the condenser is out in fron in the grille, it is what cools the a/c gasses and condenses them back to a liquid, the evaporator is what goes inside to transfer the heat from the cabin to the a/c system). GM released a bulletin that came with a template showing you how and where to cut the evap box to get access to the expansion valve without touching those lines which are virtually guaranteed to be seized(and no longer available). Then you just use a hot glue gun to put the cutout piece back in place when you were done. Make sure and use the 99 expansion valve if you replace it as it is updated to prevent the liquid line from pooling all your oil and taking out your compressor.

Back