• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Raspberry pi3

THEFERMANATOR

FRANKENBURBAN
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
Anybody out there messing around with one of these? Looking for all the stuff they can do. I just picked one up last week because I got tured of waiting for a nes classic(I grew up in the 80's and the nintendo was king then. Guess you could say I'm a retro gamer), and wanted to be able to play the old school games again after seeing the nes classic commercials. So far I got mine setup with a 64 GB sandisk extreme card(I know it's overkill, but it was on sale, and not that much more than a cheap 32GB card), a couple of buffalo snes gamepads, a wireless mini keyboard with touchpad and video player shortcuts, and a basic plastic case. I loaded it with retropie 4.1 which also has a desktop program in it, and allows several addons like kodi to work with it as well.

I've got $130 tied up in it for everything including a 25ft hdmi cable so I can set it up and sit on the couch and play games on the big screen. The desktop program allows me to go in and edit all the internal files, has some basic linux programs, and chromium web browser that now has flash loaded so it can do most all web pages. And for kodi I have it set up with a few add ons including exodus which has allowed me to watch all kinds of movies for FREE(including most in theater movies).

Just curious if anybody else had messed with one of these, and what all you used them for. It seems like a very capable mini computer. Many have even set them up on the back of a 7" touch screen, and basically made an extremely capable tablet. Only drawback is it has to be plugged in.

The near limitless potential is what has kept me from playing with it as free time is not highly available.

Have seen it used anywhere from a PC substitute to a systems controller.

Definitely attractive with its minimal footprint.

It fits in the palm of my hand even in a case. It's not a powerhouse, but not too shabby really. 1.2ghz quad core processor, I believe it was 1 GB of ram, and then whatever micro SD card you choose for hard drive space. You can ecen set it up with multiple cards to make each card make it be something different. It blew me away ar how fast the desktop programs load in the add on program. It's not even the primary OS, just an add on, but it is near instantaneous to open windows and such. All of this for $35.99(I spent $50 for a kit that included the clear case, 2.5 anp power supply, and heat sinks for it). My only regret was not researching enough before I bought a kit. I wished now I would have bought the step up kit with a breadboard and such, then you could set it up just like a PC with a power button on it so you don't have to mess with the power cord.

Decided to try this thing out on the web, dont work half bad. The mini keyboard is a little awkward with my big hands, but its surprisingly quick to surf, and much like a tablet, but alot less money.

Back