• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Raptor or FRC-10?

pacificdrumma

Reaction score
Looking on LeroyDiesel and talking to a couple of my friends who do performance 6.5 work, I see that besides the FRC-10, which seems to be popular on here, there is the Raptor kit with 1/2" fuel lines. It seems like 1/2" would flow better and flow more fuel than the smaller stock lines, kinda like FTB. Anyone here running the Raptor kit and what do you think of it? Also, where does a filter come into play with the Raptor?

They are both good pumps and a leap over the factory unit. With the factory turbo IMO you can't burn enough fuel to really care about more fuel. If you are going to use a bigger turbo and wild tune in the future...

I run a Mallory Gerotor Pump that is similar to the Raptor design. I run it due to a kinked hose I missed at the time - it finally kinked completely and had to be found and fixed.
The Mallory takes nearly 5 amps, will push fuel through a nearly kinked fuel line, and is fairly quiet vs. some other rotary vane pumps. You will need a lift pump relay kit off the OPS.
The fuel flow is smooth vs. the pulses of a plunger pump. I have not seen a 6.5 care.
If the pumps fails the engine runs about 2 seconds before it also quits.
I have already had a seal failure on the Mallory.
I run a CAT water separator as a prefilter.
I do not get a pressure drop at any RPM...

The Walbro is as tough as a pump can be.
Has a built in prescreen.
Biodiesel rated.
Flow on fail.
Delivers as much fuel as I could get out of the DS4.
Probably the 1st person to burn one up with bad fuel and removed prefilter. Not the pump's fault.

I'm thinking ATT, injectors and heath chip. Which of the two pumps is best for my needs?

Raptor is going to flow more fuel. Flow through the pressure relief bypass most likely. I do not see a pressure drop at max RPM with the 250 GPH Mallory. So if you goal is fuel flow the Raptor is the answer. Recall your IP lines are 1/4 to and from the IP so pressure is needed to move fuel through them.

I have no complaints about the walbro and it is better than factory even with the ATT.

I can't justify the extra cost now that I know I had a kinked hose. Hindsight being 20-20.

this is my opinion but i dont see the need to have anything better than the FRC-10 pump, the raptor allows you to control the PSI which is fine and dandy but not really all that much needed.... i got the hx40 and a buddy race tune and push about 20-25# boost and have 0 issues what so ever, Yes its a huge upgrade over stock pos lift pump, it says it provides 15 psi which is plenty if you ask me especially considering the stock lp's are like 4 psi?, also i'd be watching out how much you push into the injection pump just because it takes that pressure and turns it around into something greater, which perhaps could lead to failure of your IP its self!

SO imo the extra 200 bucks is a lot more money and probably is not truly worth it? BUT I could be wrong! but either way if you change your fuel pump there wont be the benefits unless you do the FEED THE BEAST MOD to allow more flow into your IP

IIRC great white and paveltoz are both using raptors

I ran the FRB-5 but got a deal on the AirDog.
Concur with others the Walbro is a better price point with a great rep.
IP shouldn't be jammed with a lot of PSI anyway. My set up is lowered to the 8 psi minimum and never falls off with hard acceleration.

Raptor 100.

I have 1/2 eaton pushlock from tank to filter manager.

Filter manager has been altered to accept the 1/2 line.

Total overkill for all but the most radical 6.5's.

Even then, pretty much overkill for what even a radical 6.5 needs.

Then again, it's dead nuts reliable and doesn't drop even 1 psi. No matter how heavy the brick on the throttle.

Raptor is loud compared to any other pump. There is no doubt it is running. Not audible once above walking speed as there's too many other noises going on at that point.

They were still offering lifetime warranty when I bought mine. I think it's 1 or 2 years now.

Your money, your choice....

Raptor is over kill, but I offer it mainly for those that also need to R&R stock lines anyway, rusted...ect. Then it becomes a good value. The FRC 10 is perfect for 1994-2000 DS4 IPs.
FWIW I also recomend a relay to power any LP with atleast 12ga wire to LP.

Back