• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ran for about a minute, stalled, now no start

toddlnrd

My first diesel!
Reaction score
Today, my son started up the "Big Girl" and she ran for about a minute. I popped the hood to check the coolant level and she cut off and would not start again. I replaced the fuel pump solenoid and still no start. I replaced the fuel filter and still no start. My lift pump is working as I am getting plenty of fuel to the filter manager.

Any ideas?

I was thinking either, fuel injector pump:eek:, computer or PMD.

Thanks,
Todd

JMJNet,
Yes, it was started yesterday. It is my wife's daily driver. With 4 kids, it is our only family vehicle. Gotta get this thing fixed.

I have the PMD that was mounted on the pump that I changed out last year. I will try to find it and plug it into the Heath relocate one on the skid plate.

Also check the electrical, at the least do load test on the batteries.
Make sure all the connectors are still good.

Try to test the PMD without the extension.
I know it is a Heath Kit but who knows, anything can go wrong.
Make sure that spare PMD is mounted on a heatsink for trial.

I am assuming you have tested the spare before when the truck was running good?

Ok, I tried the old PMD connected to the Heath extension harness. I did not have time to take off the upper plenum and connect to the original PMD connection.

Still no start. I am not sure if the old PMD is good or not.

Troubleshoot... methodically.

First, get a battery charger on the girl because all this cranking will wear the batts down.

Diesels need Air, Compression, and Fuel (at the right time) to run. How about we check the fuel first, 'cause I'm betting if the other two were fine a minute ago, they're still fine.

Turn on the key: can you hear the Lift Pump purring? (under the driver's seat, right forward of the fuel tank.

If the LP is making noise, go under the hood and open the brass T-handle on the water trap to see if fuel is coming out.

If fuel is coming out, then shut that valve and loosen the connection leading into the IP to see if fuel comes out there.

If fuel is coming out there, tighten it back up and then loosen an injector on the driver's side and have somebody crank it over to see if fuel comes out of the injector line.

I'm betting we find it (a lack of fuel) somewhere in that pathway...

My bet is lift pump.

ok, thanks for the input.

will try Jifaire suggestions sometime tomorrow.

I really doubt gas was pumped in it. My wife did get some fuel last night, but then had to drive another 12 miles home. Any gas in the tank would have made it to the IP by then.

I think it is a fuel problem also. Someone else suggested grounds and/or ignition switch. I have 340,000 miles on her. I bought it with 180,000 and have not changed it out.

**UPDATE**

Big Girl is running again!!

I checked for ground issues. Didn't see any. I removed the upper plenum and unplugged the Optic Sensor. No start. Plugged in optic sensor and tried my old PMD in the original plug. No start. When I went to plug in the PMD wire extension into the original PMD plug, I noticed one of the pins was bent on the wire harness side. Apparently, I bent it when I plugged it back in when I replaced the IP. I straightened it out the best I could with my pocket knife and carefully plugged it back in. Turned key, wait to start and she came to life!!

Thank you to those that responded and tried to help.

Todd

Back