• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Radiator Suggestions

jeffrey98335

Reaction score
You can see what I have in my signature. Looking to upgrade my Radiator and Cooling fan and clutch. I plan on doing both as my radiator is showing its age. Anybody running an AM radiator with any luck? Who was the supplier/ What was the cost?

I wil add that I have a HO waterpump, and a double thermostat crossover already installed.

Thanks

there's not much available in the way of upgraded rads. plastic duramax fan and the 99+ spin on fan is the next step

Our trucks have enough radiator if you keep it clean and remove the build up between the condenser and oil cooler. However we do not have enough fan. A 2002 Duramax fan or a 9 blade steel fan with a low temp fan clutch will keep you cool.

They have tested larger radiators in the past and did not get any improvement. This is why Ron Davis doesn't sell one! Again more airflow solves the cooling problem along with a better water pump. Dual T-Stats are a waste of money.

Here ya go:

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?38458-For-Sale-Radiator-from-quot-95-Diesel-Suburban

As WarWagon said, the trucks have enough radiator. To keep it running cool, do ALL of the other upgrades. You've done the exhaust, but have you installed the HO water pump? Fan clutch and Dmax fan? We did this on our former '95 and the improvement was impressive.

If you need it, I have the Heath 4 bolt HD fan clutch for the earlier water pumps, plus a Dmax Fan I'll let go for $75 for both.

Don't forget getting hot exaust heat out of the engine also reduces cooling loads. So dumping the butt plug factory turbo will reduce cooling needs. I only have the fan lock up on the toughest of grades rather than every one like it did with the factory setup.

Don't forget getting hot exaust heat out of the engine also reduces cooling loads. So dumping the butt plug factory turbo will reduce cooling needs. I only have the fan lock up on the toughest of grades rather than every one like it did with the factory setup.

All the mods/changes have a cumulative effect and you can approach it incrementally in terms of cost. Yes the A Team Turbo provides a huge buffering effect on heat build up in the engine because you've removed the butt plug that keep heat in the engine. I say buffering, because the other mods will get the engine well within the safety margin. I know, because we did them on the '95 and stopped short of the A Team Turbo, but that truck pulled a good load up Cajon Pass in the middle of 100 degree heat while staying in the throttle and never exceeded 210. When I first bought the truck, it would have defueled and stayed at 35 mph and overheated. The difference is significant and impressive. The A Team Turbo would simply be the capper on all the other improvements.

My 93 originally had a copper 4 core in it, and it was gnarly... plugged, rotten, all that crap. I searched 2 companies that supply Summit Racing (Summit themselves didn't have the exact replacement part number) with OE replacement radiators and found the correct number for the radiator I wanted and then, I went back through Summit and ordered it.

So I now have the OEM style heavy / thick core Aluminum radiator with the plastic / composite tanks. In my opinion, it should cool better then the old copper radiator. Also when I was working on my project, I added the 2000 style HO, balanced flow water pump, the kodiak fan clutch, and the D-max fan blade... The few times that I have ran and drove my truck, it seemed as if the coolant temp was only at 180 or 190 (no towing, just test running). I also had installed a new AC delco thermostat

Here ya go:

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?38458-For-Sale-Radiator-from-quot-95-Diesel-Suburban

As WarWagon said, the trucks have enough radiator. To keep it running cool, do ALL of the other upgrades. You've done the exhaust, but have you installed the HO water pump? Fan clutch and Dmax fan? We did this on our former '95 and the improvement was impressive.

If you need it, I have the Heath 4 bolt HD fan clutch for the earlier water pumps, plus a Dmax Fan I'll let go for $75 for both.

I will take you up on that. I have PM'd you. I will work something out to get $ to you.

Good stuff guys! I really like everyone chimming in here. I will get the upgraded fan/clutch installed here in the next couple of weeks- Big T has a PM on that issue. I have been eyeing the ATT Turbo, but have not pulled the trigger. This thread just reaffirms that I need to pull the trigger on it, and clean my radiator.

I really appreciate everyones input!

All the mods/changes have a cumulative effect and you can approach it incrementally in terms of cost. Yes the A Team Turbo provides a huge buffering effect on heat build up in the engine because you've removed the butt plug that keep heat in the engine. I say buffering, because the other mods will get the engine well within the safety margin. I know, because we did them on the '95 and stopped short of the A Team Turbo, but that truck pulled a good load up Cajon Pass in the middle of 100 degree heat while staying in the throttle and never exceeded 210. When I first bought the truck, it would have defueled and stayed at 35 mph and overheated. The difference is significant and impressive. The A Team Turbo would simply be the capper on all the other improvements.

Absolutely. With the 9 blade steel fan, low temp Kennedy Diesel fan clutch, 180 t-stat, and HO water pump we never got over 210 pulling the 24' trailer up the grades. The iceing on the cake is less fan use with the bigger turbo.

Absolutely. With the 9 blade steel fan, low temp Kennedy Diesel fan clutch, 180 t-stat, and HO water pump we never got over 210 pulling the 24' trailer up the grades. The iceing on the cake is less fan use with the bigger turbo.

Perfect! :thumbsup: This is exactly what I am looking for. I appreciate everyones input!

putting on a dual t-stat housing is a bitch on the DB2 trucks, and is unecessary. like said above, a better WP, fan, and fan clutch and a clean factory radiator are all you need.

I personally believe the 99.5 and 00 water pump is the best, but it is thread on clutch, so you need a new clutch when you upgrade WP's.

Thank you GM Guy. For now I am going to run the 93 HO waterpump. It seems to be doing the job. I think with a better fan set up, I will be where I need to be. I dont tow anything with it at the moment, but that will be changing this next spring-summer. I would like to get either a smaller toy hauler,or a slide in camper, and a boat stil deciding.

Big T is going to be sending me his Heath bolt on, with the plastic Duramax blade, as he is going to go the spin on route, but I bet at most I will be towing would be 5K Lbs. Could be pushing 6K with a smaller tow hauler and toys....

It already has all of the other upgrades for the cooling. I was thinking orginally that putting an AM Custom all aluminum radiator(the kind in race cars) might be the ticket, but I believe after the help of input from everyone here, the fan upgrade will nicely round out what I already have.

The fan clutch and Fan Blade made it here safe Big T. I appreciate it. You packed it up well, and it made it just fine.

If anyone else is wondering about purchasing from you, I would give you a :thumbsup: Items well discribed, and delivered as promised. Top Notch!

The fan clutch and Fan Blade made it here safe Big T. I appreciate it. You packed it up well, and it made it just fine.

If anyone else is wondering about purchasing from you, I would give you a :thumbsup: Items well discribed, and delivered as promised. Top Notch!

Great. USPS was a couple days early. Put that stuff to good use. Wait til you hear the noticeable roar of the Dmax fan.

Steve "Big T"

Great. USPS was a couple days early. Put that stuff to good use. Wait til you hear the noticeable roar of the Dmax fan.

Steve "Big T"

:hihi: Small furry things get sucked off the road when it locks up!

I got a 9 blade fan from Big T a year or so ago. he does really know how to package stuff. (maybe he has seen the bowels of a sorting facility? :) ) the box and the fan arrived undamaged and were also as described!

Back