• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Quietest exhaust

EppNation

Reaction score
Looking into exhaust systems, and most retailers are not very descriptive on VOLUME output.

Want something whisper quiet at idle, up to 1k RPM if possible. After that, no audible demands other than LOUD SPOOL :D
Am I asking the impossible?

Anyone able to achieve this or something close? Intentionally or by accident?

Haha, I know, I know. I'm aiming high here, these are fairly steep requirements.

Bottom line is, all other exhaust characteristics would come 2nd to having quiet idle.

If you want quiet exhaust just stick with stock. Any aftermarket exhaust is gonna be loud when you put your foot in the throttle

A quiet 6.5L at idle? Are you nuts? lol

Check with leroydiesel/burningoil or kenedy. Leroy could probably set you up with an extra resinator and kennedy had a "wife pleaser" iirc

As Tanner mentioned, might want to consider only toning the exhaust down to 'equally noisy as the engine' rather than silent :hihi:

But toward the OP of what to get, I can definitely state that a 3” down, 4” back, and muffler is one step shy of straight pipe, so do not recommend that configuration :D Am seriously thinking about a 30" FTE resonator to tone the exhaust down.

And by the way, Welcome to TTS! :thumbsup:

Depends also on whether it is quiet from the inside or outside?

Mine is not too bad inside but rather loud outside.

From the inside the 4" exhaust was actually quieter than the stock.
Not sure why, though.

Quick update / revision to the earlier report on a 4" system: Replaced my AFE back to a K47 with custom plumbing to the turbo and now the exhaust is a little more quiet (maybe a few DB by the eardrum) and the engine seems to rev a little quicker; not sure whether this is due to a clean / different filter, the difference in setups, 90F+ temps, or a combination. Even with the lower perceived noise level, a FTE is still in consideration.

Back