• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Questions? Vac to Hydro hydroboost brake conversion. 1997 Suburban K1500. 2005 AAM 14 bolt, rear disc, Front - corvette front 4 piston calipers. Nick

ngweidner

Reaction score
Good day everyone, Nick here from NE Ohio. Been working on a project and getting towards the finish line. Have a 97k1500 suburban that I have upgraded with 2005 11.5" AAM rear end that came with dual piston rear disc brakes with integrated parking brake along with an air locker. Front end has been upgraded to the larger 2500 front dif along with a 4" lift to make room for a Cummins 5.9CR along with a Six Speed Allison conversion. So I am carrying a ~600 extra pounds and want/need the best brakes possible.

I had a 1994 prior that I bought new and at 275k miles rust finally got the better of the frame. Brakes on the 1994 were horrible.In the front, converted to a 13.2" rotor/4 piston caliper set up from Baer brakes that was offered by Baer some years ago for the 1994 k1500. Only change i made was to convert from 2 piston to four piston calipers with a bit of tweaking they fit perfectly.

Currently own a rustr free colorado 1997 Suburban I got a few years ago and while brakes were better not nearly as good as a friend of mines 2500 with hydroboost. In retrospect should have just bought k2500 (would have come with a beefier rear and made converting to the 2000'MY or newer front dual piston front brakes possible).

I have the hydroboost conversion kit (booster with stainless hoses etc. Master cylinder is a 1.25" bore for the 2500/3500 truck. Wanted to make sure I had plenty of fluid and pressure for both frt/rear

So here's the question(s) Wanting to convert to hydroboost. Realize the factory ABS has the proportioning valve already in it. I want/intend to keep the ABS. Do I need to do anything else to make this work? Since the truck came with rear drums my concern is the rear bias will be low and front will be doing most if not all the work. Is that accurate? way to compensate? Thanks for any insights you can provide :>)!

Last edited:
Back