• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

question

ford_diesel_trucks

Reaction score
I got an aftermarket muffler, and there is only 3 inches out the back.... I've been told to get 5 inches, and itd sound pretty sweet. what do you guys think? 4 or 5 inch?

thanks

What type of muffler do you have?

Depends on which piping you can find that will go from 3in to 4in / 3in to 5in / or you could always go from 3in to 4in then 4in to 5in.

Depends on how big you would like your exhaust to look coming out the back.

Last edited:
7.3 liter 1993... it would be 3 inch into the muff, five inches coming out.... I like the thicker pipe coming out the back.

i think the 93 is still the non powerstroke? if so i had a 89 f250 with the 7.3L with dual 3" exhaust, sounded pretty good for a non turbo diesel.

3" doesn't sound too small if its non turbo because you do want some backpressure, but if its a turbodiesel then go 4" or 5"

yeah thats what ive been told... mine is 1993, the year before power stroke I think. so if im going in three inches it should sound alright coming out of the muffler with 4 or 5 inch piping right? because right now its 3 inches in the muff and 3 out... i was wanting something bigger coming out of the muffler.
thanks alot!

The 7.3 came with a factory option turbo option too in 92/93 and 94 is the 1st power choke. If you have the turbo I would go bigger than 3" but if you are a N/A truck 3" should be fine. On our old N/A 7.3 we did dual 3 inch exhaust with turn downs, we were getting sick of the truck painting our trailers black when we are pullin up in the mountains.

Back