• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

question about american full rigs..

Simple question - simple answer !

Each engine type got its advantage and also its dis-advantage, BUT a V-engine is shorter than an inline-engine. Due to the max length.of truck and trailer of 18.25 meters here, most manufactors here use every inch, centimeter for the trailer and NOT for the cab/driver/engine. That's also another reason, why in the US more trucks got a real hood. Here in europe, most truck are cab-over-engine.

Cu,
Sven

I was talking to a dude with a 750hp 3406e at a truck show, he showed me a speeding ticket he got Northbound on the Grapevine (61 in a 55) loaded at 78,XXX lbs........... I wonder what his gearing was....

):h Up or downhill "Northbound"?

:mad2: That isn't much over the 5 over you usually get away with. Stupid 55 MPH trailer and truck roadblock limit in a 65+ zone law...

And that hill was the one I was referring to before... He must have kept the cops busy as I blew past. :nono:

The Scania big trucks are a cab over engine, right? Maybe designers like the packaging of the big V8 over the inline 6.. ? The Scania trucks appear to be pretty darn short too. Perhaps they have to work within overall tractor-trailer length permitted on the roads in Norway.

FYI a Caterpillar C-15 is a 15.2 liter inline 6 that has to comply with the more strict U.S. emission specs.

All this while still making up to 600 HP.

Inline sixes have 7 main bearings. V8's have 5.

yeah,total lenght is a problem ower here,thats why the euro trucks are so damn short..and uncomfotable to live in..

War Wagon is right about how a V configuration will wear the piston skirt from the reaction of the power cycle Jamie. You were misled a bit there...):h That still happens on an inline but not as pronounced.

Go figure. One more "old Wives tale" to throw out the window.:thumbsup:

635- those instant-on chains were made by a company called On-Spot. We had them on our Navistar 4700 medium duty rigs. They worked but after 1 or 2 engagements the chain would break, requiring a new wheel as all the chains were welded on. A competitor came out with bolt-on links but their name escapes me. They saved my butt on ice once or twice, and not having to put on chains was always welcomed!

Around here you see the automatic chains on fire trucks and ambulances alot.

Simple question - simple answer !

Each engine type got its advantage and also its dis-advantage, BUT a V-engine is shorter than an inline-engine. Due to the max length.of truck and trailer of 18.25 meters here, most manufactors here use every inch, centimeter for the trailer and NOT for the cab/driver/engine. That's also another reason, why in the US more trucks got a real hood. Here in europe, most truck are cab-over-engine.

Cu,
Sven

Agreed, it's all about size and space requirements.

The in-line six is the most stable engine design as the pistons fire evenly around the circle scribed by the crank (i.e. 360/6 = 60). As such, the in-line six generates very little vibration. The inline four design has the pistons firing at 0 and 180 and thus creates a lot of vibration. V-8 designs create a side torque which can be seen when revving the engine it will tilt on its mounts from the driver's side to the passenger side.

The comment about pistons in a V-8 wearing out the downside of the cylinder is pure horsesh!t. Otherwise, you'd see the same thing in slant six gas engine designs, yet you did not. Slant six gas engine designs lasted just as long as vertical in line sixes. The pancake or boxer 6 design (Porsche) is also a very vibration stable design. Same with the V-12, which is just two in-line sixes in a V design.

Agreed, it's all about size and space requirements.

Volvo have inline six in theyr cabovers too.. some engine builders say v8 is best for low rpm torq..i dont know,for scania their v8s have become a trademark..and they produce good mileage with heavy loads and steep hills,but volvos inline 6 is better on the flats... and besides,i hate volvo for building cheap unstable to drive plastic trucks...feels like the tandem is loose on their newer trucks..:nonod:
id like an american tracktor like you guys drive:grouphug:
they looks very long and stable to drive..

We are truly spoiled by comparison to the European drivers; the best sleeper cabs over there are tiny compared to the worst of ours (current production).

A big concern for me is the survivability of drivers in frontal wrecks; conventional vs cabover. Drove cabovers twice, hated it. give me some frame and engine between me and that a** hole that pulls out in front of me.

Attachments

• MBZ 2006 Actros sleeper.jpg
    MBZ 2006 Actros sleeper.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 14
  • MBZ 2006 ACTROS.jpg
    MBZ 2006 ACTROS.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 11
  • DAF cf430.jpg
    DAF cf430.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 11
  • DAF cf430 space cab.jpg
    DAF cf430 space cab.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 9
When we were hauling the big overhead cranes and trolleys to the VAB building at Cape Kennedy and for the space shuttle hangers we would all stage at the Kennedy Space Center. A very impressive site of maybe 10 or more great big loads on the south end of the very large parking lot. A 4 axle T800 KW tractor with a 3 axle jeep carrying the front of a 160 foot overhead crane and at the back was a 3 axle steer car with another 3 axle jeep. The lowbeds with the trolley's on grossing out at 250,000 would take a lot of room to get in place. The men, on vacation with their families from foreign countries, would get off the tour bus after seeing the Kennedy Center and come over and see the loads and trucks. They enjoyed these trucks more than the Space Center. They just loved those big KW T800's and a few long hood W900's and 379 Pete's that were with us. I would drop the landing gear and take them for a drive and a few times, if they asked, I would even let them drive! Those drivers could not believe the way some of the sleepers were laid out either. That was a good way to meet a lot of people and keep up the foreign relations!

yeah... A pic of my last rig appeared in a French travel magazine that was taken at the Pilot travel center in Palm Springs, CA...... its a pic my a guy's wife standing on my tank and waving at the camera.

that was my '05 Classic XL, Slate Gray,Polished Moose Catcher, Standard light and chrome, and polished wheels/Head ache rack pulling a 48' Aluminum Flat with a color matched Conastoga Tarp system.... they even wanted pics of the inside but I had to refuse (hadn't gotten to detailing the inside yet).

they commented on the size and space compared to european trucks.

We have some nice rigs over here, as well. This one comes from Tennessee and is for show only. Anybody seen it before?

IMG_1828.jpg

my opinion is,and i always tell the police when they stop me in driving regulations and weight controls that our european cabs isnt good enough for these regulations..we have to stop and rest 11 ours at night..and its only to seats and a small bed in theese trucks! no place to change clotes,and stuff..you fellow truckers know whoat i mean:)
theese cabs are realy all to small,no man shoud have to live in such a small "box"!..sorry guys..euro max lenght regulations realy piss me off..and theese tracktors are very tuff to handle on small snow and icy,curvy roads due to the short distance between the axls.......

I drove a '76 IH into the ground, caught it on fire, after replacing everything but the long block, at least once. Stupid move, I put out the fire and repaied it. Should have let the damn thing melt. Got 10 MPG, though. Never cared so much for the 'binders after that.
I'd take one of these, though.

Attachments

• IH Prostar.jpg
    IH Prostar.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 5
I drove a '76 IH into the ground, caught it on fire, after replacing everything but the long block, at least once. Stupid move, I put out the fire and repaied it. Should have let the damn thing melt. Got 10 MPG, though. Never cared so much for the 'binders after that.

not me..... they have wiring and alignment issues..... and they are steer heavy..... the ones with IFS and rack and pinion steering will chew a set of steers in about 60,000 miles .......

They are comfortable though ..... and have nice seats ..... My International has Peterbilt seats ...... (the high back monogrammed cloth seats) ........ got them off Ebay for $100 for the set ...... best seats i have ever sat in....

Next rig will be a K100e Cab over with a retrofitted 14L Detroit and 13spd ....

.......no man shoud have to live in such a small "box"!.........

That is why I walked away from driving for a living and never looked back.

And I was spoiled by comparison too. Condo sleeper, 2 beds, TV, coffee maker, microwave oven, fridge... Heck I could stand up and stretch my arms in the morning and just barley reach the roof.

The guy that first put a bed in a truck was not right in the head. :mad2:

I am seriously going to have to go change my shorts. I would love to hear that thing. My only questions, WHY IN THE HELL IS IT IN A FREIGHTSHAKER?

A ha the infamous v16 92. They sound awsome, but the only one I heard was in a pullin truck Pete CO that thing was crazy good. It would carry the front end on one side about 2' off the ground and the other side about 3'.
As for the freightshaker I would think the only other truck that would have a long enough hood (without mods) would be a 379 Pete but not sure.

The Prostars are nice BUT the Lonestars are just way too cool imo. Saw one the other day on the road just look like an old steam train comin at ya!!!!!

Attachments

• IH%20Prostar.jpg
    IH%20Prostar.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 39
  • lone star.jpg
    lone star.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 39
  • lonestar.jpg
    lonestar.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 39
Back