• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Q about the 4 way flasher lights on a 6.5..

DEERE3594

I welcome everyone...not just Penguins!
Reaction score
The 4 way way flashers on my 1994 dually don't work. I got a new flasher unit, nothing. When I push switch and hit the brakes, the front lights go on sullied like they do when you hit the brakes but I get no flash.. Any ideas??

Have you tried cutting the flashers on and keeping your foot off the brake? Every chevy I've owned has stopped the flashing when the brakes are applied.

Have you tried cutting the flashers on and keeping your foot off the brake? Every chevy I've owned has stopped the flashing when the brakes are applied.

mine does this as well. flashes til i step on the brake. then the turn signal indicators go solid on until i let me foot off the brake. probably something to do with that both the turn signals, brakes, and 4-ways use the same bulb and the brakes must override the flashers somehow.

Yes the go on like they normally would with them on and the foot on the brake but with out my front on the brake nothing flashes.. if that makes sence :)

this may not apply to your situation, but the recent electronic flasher I just installed would not work because the polarity is reversed on the flasher unit, made jumper wires and works fine. what was original issue, just stopped working?, is it electronic unit? tested for voltage, ground at connector block?

Havnt tested anything as I dont know what to test... They havnt worked since Ive had the truck...

No, that so far is the only thing that is working properly.

My theory is that the flasher circuit is not getting power properly, and is getting its power from the brake light source. That is why when the brakes aren't applied you get no lights, but when they are applied you get flashing lights. The brake lights are supposed to over-ride the flashers, so there is where the brake lights are powering the rest of the circuit.

YOu would need a wire diagram, and check all wires to and from the signal switch. find out why its not getting power. Probably a ground or cooroded wire somewheres.

verify fuse #1 -probably 15a-stop,tcc,buzzer, chmsl,hazard,stop........
flasher module is bottom of connector block, on left
diagnose-see bottom first

step 1 -do turn signals work with ignition in run? no -replace turn signal switch
step 2 -turn off turn signal, engage hazard, test brown wire at turn signal switch connector to ground. if test lamp flashes replace turn signal switch.
step 3 -test brown wire at hazard flasher connector to ground, if flashing, problem is in brown wire between turn signal and flasher
step 4 -test orange wire at flasher connector to ground. no light- repair orange wire between flasher and fuse.

bottom line- verify fuse, test for voltage at flasher module(flasher engaged, module pulled), I believe the left and right terminals are pos and neg- the top is load side. if there is power, then the module polarity is reversed or is bad. if not, check turn signal(above).
:confused:Is this an electronic flasher???
PM me for pics of troubleshoot

Do your turn signals work?......If they do, try pushing the hazzard switch in/out up/down, it's probably not making contact.......they tend to get skechy after years.

That is the flasher I have.. All I have is a test light(going to but tester later).. The oragne wire comes on bright and the brown wire side is real dim...

Where is the turn signal switch connector?

and Louis- turn signals work, I tried moving the switch, no luck :(

I'm not sure on your year of truck, but on older GMs, there are two flashers. One for the turn signals, and one for the hazard flashers. Try unplugging your new flasher, and see if you have turn signals. If not, then you have two flasher units, and the bad one is the other one.

Well, I don't know, but I do know that my 88 Chevy has a small issue with it's lights right now, and I know that it has something to do with the right taillight. When I put on the right directional, the light on the radio goes out when it flashes. But, I digress.
Anyways, I would try removing both of your rear taillights, and see if the front ones flash. If you have a problem with the connections on the rear taillights, then they could be causing interference. Check all of the bulbs while it is out. I have had a problem in another vehicle that was caused by one of the filaments in a two filament bulb being burned out, and shorting with the other filament, causing some funkyness. If you find nothing there, then try pulling and checking the rest of them. Sorry that is all I have for suggestions, but at least it won't cost anything to check.

Back