• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Putnam XDR Spare Tire Fit Fix

RI Chevy Silveradoman

At your service
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
If anyone has the Putnam XDR Hitch and cannot fit their spare tire underneath, this is a fix that I did. I feel that the hitch itself is a very good hitch, but I just could not fit the spare tire up underneath the truck. I cut the front part of the hitch off, and lengthened it by 3". I had my welder weld in two 3" pieces of flat stock, and then weld in more flat stock on the inside, and then weld in gussets. The spare tire now fits perfectly up underneath, with a little room to spare. The hitch fits better than it did when new, and I feel it is much improved. Refer to the link below for photos of the hitch, just after welding. I plan on getting rid of the powder coating, and have the hitch Rhino'd, Linex'd, of something of that sort to better hold off the rusting, as the powder coating did not last very long.

http://www.dieseltowingresource.com/showpost.php?p=111833&postcount=14

The actual 2" receiver does a little bit, but not to any extreme or detriment. To be able to have the spare tire back in its original OEM location is very worth it to me. I just got done doing the herculon type finish on the hitch. It looks good. I will get some pics when I can.

Back