• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Push rod length

matuva

Tropical 6.5er
Reaction score
New Caledonia. An island in south west pacific, cl
Hi all,

I remark that not all push rods are equal:

some are a little bit shorter, e.g. the SEALED POWER Part # RP3238 is 8.824" overall (to fit 1994-1997 K1500) and the SEALED POWER Part # RP3342 (with one side copper coloured, to fit 1988-1998 K1500) is 8.8215" overall.

This is not a big difference, but why a difference? Is that critical anyways? Should it make one engine ticking more than the other?

Wow Matuva, I didn't realize the 6.5 had different length push rods in different year, but I'm certainly not one of the resident 6.5 experts. However .0025 difference shouldn't make any difference as far as a hydraulic lifter is concerned. Just having the block decked, or the heads shaved would likely make more of a difference than .0025. Just my thoughts.

Matt

Yes matt, I think the gap is more a question of lifters, but I was wondering why different length and different part numbers in the same trade mark. Curious to know the reason.
May be the fact that the copper coloured ones are found in the Optimizer, and the others on stock engines means something?

Yes matt, I think the gap is more a question of lifters, but I was wondering why different length and different part numbers in the same trade mark. Curious to know the reason.
May be the fact that the copper coloured ones are found in the Optimizer, and the others on stock engines means something?
The push rods on both my 93, and my 96 6.5's were copper colored on the end that goes to the rocker arm. I believe I read a post by Missy Goodwrench that said that they were either hardened or had a coating on that end, to help with wear. I can't remember which. My memory just isn't what it used to be.

Matt

Install a push rod upside down and watch it wear through the rocker arm quick! They are all coated on the rocker side.

Back