• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

pump timing

chessie 6.5

Reaction score
Just purchased and hooked up GMTD Scan Tech with my laptop and got the following settings: Engine hot idle- Desired injection timing 8.6, Actual injection timing 11.8, TDC offset -2.02
Check engine light comes and goes frequently; Scan Tech indicates timing error. Are these settings advanced or retarded? Truck also requires longer cranking times to start, even hot.

Advanced. Need to move the pump a little to the pass side. May not be the problem with your hot starts but might as well do it first.

I'll see what I can do to change it today. Just learning the use of the GMTD program on a laptop. Also, the setting of the timing tutorial is somewhat confusing or too technical.

I'll see what I can do to change it today. Just learning the use of the GMTD program on a laptop. Also, the setting of the timing tutorial is somewhat confusing or too technical.

After fooling all afternoon, retarded it more than I thought I needed to and FINALLY got it to drop from a constant -2.02 (which is apparently max ) down to 1.74. Check engine lamp stays off and I was able to delete dtc88 which kept staying in memory even after I deleted it and history. Good enuff till after trip.

Just got back from 3000 mile trip....Ohio, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Indiana. 18.8, 19.6, 19.8, 20.1, 19.9, 20.0, and 19.7. Filled to top of neck every time. Takes a while to putting last 3 gallons. No check engine light and no issues. Starts much better when cold. Previous trip best was 17.8 before setting timing. Using towing chip at present. Need to get electronic module for Gear Vendors OD. Shifts harsh without it unless I release the conv clutch. I hear they just came out with a sequential shift program module. I'll have to check that out. With 3.42's, I can only use it when going over 68.

Back