• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

pump output

Joey D

Reaction score
I am having a low power isse that I can only assume is the pump. It starts up quickly, runs smooth, gets good milage, basicaly runs like new. But power is down. EGTs will not get over 750 under full throttle up a nice 11% grade for a mile. No smoke at all.
Just to add, lift pump is working, fuel pressure under WOT is fine as well.

I am having a low power isse that I can only assume is the pump. It starts up quickly, runs smooth, gets good milage, basicaly runs like new. But power is down. EGTs will not get over 750 under full throttle up a nice 11% grade for a mile. No smoke at all.
Just to add, lift pump is working, fuel pressure under WOT is fine as well.

You are testing fuel pressuer while driving? What is it at WOT?

where are you measuring fuel pressure? The T valve would be pre filter, if it is from there it could just be a dirty fuel filter. Leo

I have Heaths HD pump and new filter. I checked pressure at the t.

I have owned it since new, but about 5-6 months ago I had an injector pump installed under waranty because of stalling, warranty was about up so I let them do it vs just installing Heaths PMD relocate kit which I did after anyways. I had though that the power was low but I figured it was due to driving my D Max 99% of the time and that has double the power the 6.5 has and I fogot what it drove like.
I could hit 1000 degrees on the EGT climbing the same grade before so there is an issue.
Slim has me checking a few things, fuel line and IP pressure regulator to see if it is blocked, I just need help on where that is.

OK, so this is since an IP reinstall. They probably retarded your timing quite a bit from what you had, the stealership doesnt know how to do much right, and the stock book settings are pretty weak. Like you may have had around -1 on the TDCO and 9 degrees idle IP timing, and when they set it, they put it to -.25 TDCO and 3.5 degrees IP idle timing.

And it was this way before putting the Heath relocator kit on?

Might have other issues, but I would get a scanner on it to check timing and advance it a little if its set really conservatively.

Once I check what Slim said to check I am going to verify the timing at the dealer.

You might check and see if any members are local to you and have the scanner and tools to set the timing. All the dealer is going to do is set it to stock.

I had the timing checked today at the dealer and it's -.75
I know this is not the optimum setting but will this make any difference in power output.

Back