• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Pulling up trees with a chain

schiker

Reaction score
Pulling trees up.

I have pulled many small trees up with my tractors too many to count easy peasy. I have no problem with most trees. Smaller ones are worse than the bigger ones as sometimes the small ones deglove or skin all the bark and limbs off and not pull out. Brushy type bushes tend to debark and limb off too. Brush can be harder too as you have to attach low and gives the bush leverage with not much to squeeze on then skins off.

I have seen the slipper hooks but never tried one. And its aggravating when the chain turns a bit and the clevis unhooks tightening up. I usually get a decent squeeze on trees wrapping the chain twice and making a honda loop or not. But still small stuff is "slippery". I have seen the pinching tree grubbers and they have promise but are limited to size and seem expensive.

So looking for ideas I ran across this idea and its improved version. Looks like a pretty good idea so I thought I would share. I might try to build one sometime when I have to pull some stuff .

on posting I might have mixed up the versions videos but you get the point.

DIY tree grubber.

DIY Grubber 2 (easier chain attachment and color )

Thats some good stuff.
Do not try snap jerking on a tree with a chain, or rope too for that matter.
I had a chain snap, now the tail gate of my truck looks like machine gun holes in about a foot long sequence.
I’m going to get some of them bullet hole decals and dress them up.

Any ideas on wrapping a cable around a tree up about 60' or so?

I think last time we used Siderwire, casted over a limb, pulled a rope up and then pulled the cable and down.
Choked the cable, then tightened it up

Just other variations of that. They make little ditty bags with draw string closure. Put a rock in bag tie on string / light paracord to draw string then throw rock over limb. Or tie paracord around rock duct tape to secure slippage sometimes rocks have enough shape you can just package tie them. Usually have to play putting a wave in the throw line to get rock to come back down. Then use paracord to pull cable or tree rope. Depends on if you are more accurate with rock throw or rod cast.

Just other variations of that. They make little ditty bags with draw string closure. Put a rock in bag tie on string / light paracord to draw string then throw rock over limb. Or tie paracord around rock duct tape to secure slippage sometimes rocks have enough shape you can just package tie them. Usually have to play putting a wave in the throw line to get rock to come back down. Then use paracord to pull cable or tree rope. Depends on if you are more accurate with rock throw or rod cast.
Have to find that kid that threw me wrenches on top of a bucket elevator near 40 years ago.

I told my ground man to toss them up to me - one time that I climbed up without taking a rope. I took the usual suspects, 1/2", 9/16, 3/4.

Naturally some fool used 7/16 hardware and I needed 5/8 - 11/16. Hope it wasn't me.

I knew Tom couldn't make the toss. I was getting ready to head down. Tom gave a no effort toss - about 30' worth.

A kid walking home from school said, "I'll throw them to him if you want."

Tom looked at me in disbelief, I said, give home the wrench's.
I got the wrenches in to out of 3 throws. Very accurate. 2 times I stuck out my hand and caught the wrenches. The middle throw, he over threw me. About 6' over my head.

Tom and I install a spreader working on top of the grain in a 100,000 bushel bin. It was maybe -10F
Always verify a grain bin has grain in it. And always tie off.
We did neither.
We found out when we were done, the bin was empty and we worked on the crust.

Right to the liquor establishment we went

Back