• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

pulling the innards from a 7.3 IDI pump and a 6.2 pump

NintendoKD

Reaction score
Tomorrow I start my transplant operation, I want to see first hand the differences between the 7.3 and 6.5 pumps for the IDI engines, I found a couple at the junkyard that are not seized, and am going to pull them apart to compare, components etc. I know many of the basics, but what I'm looking to do is take the black-magic out of these pumps and put it to public knowledge. I have access to a lathe and precision machining equipment so maybe I can make this work. I can use a working running, proper tolerance pump as a reference and go from there. I guess when I go East, I want to build a pump of my own, and post about it, but for now I'm doing the mad scientist thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
good reference

I saw that, and i'm going to use it, because I'm using a good ds4 as the "control" in the experiment, so this is good stuff.

Tim at Accurate Diesel did some voodoo with my mechanical pump that involved something to do with a rotor and plungers from a 7.3 if i remember correctly. Ill have to look and see if I can find what i wrote down when i had it done.

IMO using the .290" head and rotor from a 7.3l IP will yield nothing and is a waste of time, it is the same thing other than the cam-ring is turned around and the transfer pump spins the opposite direction.... now using a .310" head and rotor in a 7.3l pump would be an upgrade...

IMO using the .290" head and rotor from a 7.3l IP will yield nothing and is a waste of time, it is the same thing other than the cam-ring is turned around and the transfer pump spins the opposite direction.... now using a .310" head and rotor in a 7.3l pump would be an upgrade...

sleeving the plungers holes, and installing larger plungers, as well as a close and intimate review "with possible modification" of the fuel adjustment. this will potentially give the pump more life, while making it possible to get more fuel at different levels. I would be interested to see a boost controlled mechanism that can do this mechanically with climbing levels of boost. I have seen this done in bosch pumps, but because of the design, I am interested in seeing if this can indeed be done with with a stanadyne. the plungers and rotor will be used as a guide, not exclusively, I do realize that the two pumps spin in opposite directions. I imagine that said voo doo has to do with drilling larger plunger holes and inserting larger plungers into the smaller pump "essentially that is the only major difference I know of"

Sleeveing will be a good place to start, then the ability to get the fuel to them for the fill and have large enough passages through the pump to the lines (spill). The Ford pump has a good tail section, we do a similar mod to have the larger fuel inlet.

We are subscribed, not for any voodoo or pixie dust, but to see some good modifications. Good luck, and keep us posted....J&J.

Who will be setting the pump up on the stand? I have a much larger plunger DS4 / that has .3 plus plungers. The specs are set for the DS4 by Stanadyne. The bench is a pre programmed set of fuel points. Have you found some one that will set it up for you? I have a shop but right now don't have the time/ money to pay to have them play with the pump someone want to help? I have everything all set to go?

funny, but no, going to V.A. not ever coming back to this accursed place.

Having done a two rotation through the NTC way back in the day (has it been 16 years already?), I understand exactly where you're coming from.

Looks like a .500" plunger in your rotor......largest factory did was .450", due to the dimensions of the shoe assembly. Now to get it to fill and spill.....massive fuel at low rpms. Hard to tell in your photo, did you enlarge the ports also ?

Looks like a .500" plunger in your rotor......largest factory did was .450", due to the dimensions of the shoe assembly. Now to get it to fill and spill.....massive fuel at low rpms. Hard to tell in your photo, did you enlarge the ports also ?

Don't know what all was done to it, as it isn't my pump. It belongs to a certain member here known for making power, and bending rods! It did seize for multiple reasons, but was a good experiment!

Who will be setting the pump up on the stand? I have a much larger plunger DS4 / that has .3 plus plungers. The specs are set for the DS4 by Stanadyne. The bench is a pre programmed set of fuel points. Have you found some one that will set it up for you? I have a shop but right now don't have the time/ money to pay to have them play with the pump someone want to help? I have everything all set to go?

can you be a little more specific....?

Don't know what all was done to it, as it isn't my pump. It belongs to a certain member here known for making power, and bending rods! It did seize for multiple reasons, but was a good experiment!

we have a set of .350" plungers( OEM from stanadyne) and machined rotor here, just need to sit down with the autosol and buff/polish the bores and plungers to hand fit them so they are well within spec... also bought a set of .370" plungers at the same time, tried to have the .450" ones too, but stanadyne discontinued them......

can you be a little more specific....?
YES
My post wasn't about what size the plungers I have are, the point of my post was to see if someone has had a DS4 with larger plunges set up on a Stanadyne bench. Please disregard my post. If it could be deleted by the staff it would be appreciated, thanks.

There reaches a certain taper point where fuel can no longer be effectively provided even with higher pre pump pressures aka: stronger lift pump. While large pistons are impressive and can make lots of power. I am interested in not just the plungers themselves, but a holistic approach to understanding the underlying g principals behind which the pump operates. To change just one thing may have mixed results, but to truly understand and change the whole pump is quite another. While an Ingenius design, the Stanadyne pump has yet to see its full potential reached, at least I think so.

Has anybody considered adapting an 8 cyl version of the Bosch P700 series injection pump to replace the DS/DB series pump? Also, I recall seeing on YouTube a few years back somebody over in Europe who mounted TWO Stanadyne pumps to their 6.5.

Back