• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Pulling a 6000 pound trailer what is the maximum rpm’s on my 4L 80 E in third gear would be suitable for this motor?

One thing not mentioned so far in the conversation is monitoring exhaust gas temperatures. If the truck does not have an EGT gauge, might want to consider adding one. Reasoning is that in the Burb's configuration, I found that even though I had more room to push the throttle on long hard climbs, if I let the EGT stay over 1,100, the coolant temperatures would climb into the redline zone (as measured by aftermarket gauges and *not* the OE dash). I could easily let the EGTs go to 1,200 on shorter bursts as I would crest before coolant got hot. But 1,200 on longer pulls was not a good thing. Again, this appied to how the Burb was configured and an example of how EGTs play into the overall picture.

2200 RPM is merely peak torque. Use all 4 gears. If you are at 2200RPM 62MPH and foot to the floor you should be ok. I found 3RD just slowed me down with a steady headwind and slight grade. I ran a little faster in 4th at times vs. higher RPM in 3rd. You will notice at around 60 MPH it won't downshift out of OD by throttle position easy. So when I forced it to 3rd it just slowed me down.
War wagon;
Thank you for your information I guess I’ll just put her to the wood and go like hell I appreciate that thank you sir.
Respectfully
Harry

Back