• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Pulley on tensioner assembly: new and wobbles?

WarWagon

Well it hits on 7 of 8...
Reaction score
Just got done replacing two idler pulleys and the pulley on the tensioner on the LLY. I was getting the "typerwriter" ticking noise from the front of the engine. I just about dismissed it as that and closed the hood. No... I had to go looking for trouble.

I found the 3 pulley bearings shot - turning rough. When I put a new Gates tensioner pulley on it wiggles side to side. I dropped a 5/8" bolt through and tightened it on just the pulley and confirmed it was the bearing. I exchanged it and the same result. I got a new Gates tensioner at the parts counter and it did the same wobble thing out of the box.

The 2 idlers do not have the loose feel.

So it turns smooth but the wobble in the bearing concerns me. I'll stop by the dealer and check one out as well.

Anyone confirm this is normal for the tensioner pulley to be able to move 90 degrees from the center bolt some? I don't like it... :skep:

If you are talking about axial play (thrust along the axis), I would think very little (.005-.010) would be normal.

Back