• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

PS Fluid for the Duramax

btfarm

America First!
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
I find that I need to add a bit of power steering/brake boost fluid for the first time. Cold (45* F) the level is about 3/8" below the cold mark. The Diesel supplement says some GM number but no SAE equivalent standard. I see there is signs of a slight mist around the hoses at the boost unit that accumulates over several months after an underhood washdown. Should I siphon out what I can from the reservoir and put in new fluid? What fluid should I get? I'd rather not be buying it from a dealer.

Mike I would just flush the old fluid with the method you posted here. http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sh...Boost-Fluid-Flush&highlight=hydro+boost+flush
I did this a year ago and everything has been good since. You may even see an improvement in braking. Here is the fluid I used.

View attachment 32447
X2
I used the NAPA brand PS fluid, couldn't find the Valvoline. The owner of the NAPA store said their brand is made by Valvoline, so I used it.

Also, if you look in the DIY forum there are instructions how to flush the system. This would get all the old stuff out along with any crap that is in there....and if you haven't ever done it, there will be crap in there. It's real easy and takes about an hour counting jacking the front wheels off the ground.

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?27563-Power-Steering-Hydro-Boost-Fluid-Flush

Notice who posted it....;)

As far as the leak is concerned, the line used to flush the system has a light weight pinch clamp that may be stressed allowing fluid to escape. I replaced mine with a small hose clamp.

Hmmm...:eek:

I'm sure I posted that so I could refer to it when needed and then promptly forgot about it. THAT'S kinda embarassing...:rolleyes5:

Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

I know nothing says to use it, but I flushed the 06 with TranSynd when I replaced the leaking hydroboost. It was in there for at least 2(?) years before it got traded and seemed to make the pump quieter while turning at low speeds with the brakes on. No more growling and nothing leaked.

I've used Hy-Tran (case IH hydaulic fluid) in a truck because it need back on the road ASAP after I sliced a pressure side rubber line. It was in my 03 2500 IIRC, Ran that way for over a year before I sold it and is probably still running that way.

My 95 Chevy 6.5L has Lucas power steering stop leak and 75w90 gear oil and Ive put 80K on it that way.

I've used Hy-Tran (case IH hydaulic fluid) in a truck because it need back on the road ASAP after I sliced a pressure side rubber line. It was in my 03 2500 IIRC, Ran that way for over a year before I sold it and is probably still running that way.
Got a few gallons of Hy-Tran myself but I think I should go with the recommended stuff for now...:D

Lol, I dont blame ya! We go through 2 55gal drums a year so its always on hand and gets put in alot of things it shouldnt be in.

X2
I used the NAPA brand PS fluid, couldn't find the Valvoline. The owner of the NAPA store said their brand is made by Valvoline, so I used it.

Also, if you look in the DIY forum there are instructions how to flush the system. This would get all the old stuff out along with any crap that is in there....and if you haven't ever done it, there will be crap in there. It's real easy and takes about an hour counting jacking the front wheels off the ground.

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?27563-Power-Steering-Hydro-Boost-Fluid-Flush

Notice who posted it....;)

Jeff could you repost that info from your thread at DP here in the above mentioned thread?

don't want those guys thinking we are reposting their forum stuff...if the original poster posts it then all is good...;)

Jeff could you repost that info from your thread at DP here in the above mentioned thread?

don't want those guys thinking we are reposting their forum stuff...if the original poster posts it then all is good...;)

Pepp,

I'm not sure what you're asking me here. The thread in the DIY here is what I posted under the Maintenance forum and Mike moved it to DIY sometime back. I didn't post anything over at DP. That one over there had pics and and more detailed. My post here, just hit the highlights after I flushed my truck's system. I did mention the guy who did the post with pics just to give him credit because I didn't want folks to think I came up with it.

Do you want me to repost it the procedure? Be glad to just need a little guidance. Thanks. :)

that thread had a link to DP...I thought you created the thread at DP that Mike had linked to...I see Hookmhorns did the write up over there...nevermind...

Here is the PS/Hydroboost Flush procedure

Here is the repost. I cleaned it up a bit to make it easier to read and follow....

I can't remember if I jacked mine up or not, it'll probably be easier on the pump if you do. Anyways, if you do jack the front of the truck up to take some pressure off the tires...don't go too high or you won't be able to reach to refill the resevoir.

Under the hood on the driver's side next to the firewall up high in the corner there is a rubber return line w/ a pinch-clamp holding it on. It's real obvious and the only one there. I removed the clamp and hose, then I attached a piece of clear 3/8" tubing 6.5ft long onto the fitting using a small hose clamp. I ran the other end to a catch pan on the floor. Make sure that you put something on the end of the hose in the catch-pan so the hose will stay in the pan when the old fluid starts pumping out. (w/clear tubing it's easier to see when the fluid turns clean)

Start the truck, in park, slowly depress the brake pedal as far as you can and hold it there. Then turn your steering wheel clockwise 1/4 turn, back to center, then 1/4 turn counter clockwise then back to center. Slowly release the brake pedal and then re-apply brake, and turn steering wheel again. Continue this procedure until you hear the pump make noise (mine took 3 iterations). Stop! immediately and turn off the truck.

Fill the power steering reservoir with fresh power steering fluid (I used NAPA brand which is actually valvoline $12.99 a gallon). Then repeat this procedure until you see clear fluid coming from the hose.

Mine took a little over 3/4 of a gallon. Probably more than I needed but I wanted to get as much of the old stuff out as I could, and like I said, the old fluid was BLACK! Also, make sure there is enough new fluid left over to refill the power steering pump when you're done.

Then, remove the clear hose and re-attach the rubber return line.

IMPORTANT: After you refill the final time, start the truck and move the wheel back and forth, then recheck fluid level, add if needed. All done.

This is really a simple thing to do, so much so, that you'll probably want to do it as a regular maintenance item...say every year or two.

When I get this done in the next couple of weeks, I'm going to take a couple of pictures, add them to Jeff's proceedure and update the thread in the DIY section with (finally) our own without any question of ownership.

I did the fluid change proceedure today and edited the DIY thread to add a couple of different things I did and posted a few pictures. It's all in the DIY area and complete now. Not too bad to do. I did make a good size mess when I first took the hose off. I wasn't expecting a bit of residual pressure. I was due for an oil and filter change anyhow so while I was at it...

I noticed a definately better brake pedal response as well as a higher brake pedal. IDK why that would be but it's noticable.

You gotta remember what gives you power brake assist...the PS pump!

Get it working better and stronger and you get a better and stronger assist on the brake pedal. I followed the DIY on both my 2002 2500HD (6.0L gas) and my 83 K5. There are differences between those 2 hydroboost units, but the sequence was the same.

I have been unable to do ANYTHING about my mushy brake pedal. I have tried a bunch of things, and the only thing I haven't done, that I know of, is replace the master cylinder. Bummer.

Back