• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Proper Boost Pressure

dtreid

Reaction score
Just put a boost gauge on my 98 1500. I'm getting sustained 15psi if I really romp on it. Is this too much. I rigged a T into the IAT port on the intake manifold to plumb in the boost gauge without having to drill a hole in the intake. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Attachments

• T.jpg
    T.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 19
Not too much for intermittent boost, sustained boost non IC I recommend max of 10 sustained, in winter you mite get away with higher but come summer hi IAT quite likely and defuel then on high IAT.

what sort of boost control you have to get that much boost out of a GM turbo, how much EGT you seeing at 15 psi boost.

You need to get your FSD/cooler out of the engine bay, located on intake not a mattter of if it will fail again, but when.

Oh welcome to the site or welcome to 1st post, if you would please create a signature for us so we know post to post what flavor of truck you have.

15 psi stock is out of norm, GM program usually dumps boost before it gets that high, how long it stay at 15, and what is boost level at cruise control setting say 70 mph, EGT gauge is highly recommended

That T @ the IAT sensor is a real good idea dtreid. I have heard some people say the best modification you could ever do is one that can be removed without leaving evidence. Smart on that one, I believe I will follow suite on this one.

Wouldn't the IAT be calibrated against the factory position and moving it might alter the effective values? I'd rather have an independent tap into the manifold for the vacuum gauge where there isn't the possibility that the air chamber in the waterpipe fitting isn't buffering the values. I'd be curious what an OBD II reader thought your MAP was seeing.

Last edited:
Back