• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Proper ballast/post what you run and blade!

Yaz

Big Brother
Reaction score
Just thought I would start this, because I see more people not using any.

It helps 3 things I know about..

1) It keeps the front axial weight down, by transferring weight from the front to back.

2) Make the truck more stable on the road.

3) Improves rear wheel traction.

Note. It is only effective in weight transfer if it is placed behind the rear wheels.

8' Fisher X-blade = 700#'s right up against tailgate.

Run a 7' 6" Western

Ran without balast last season, should have run with 600#'s.

I was looking for cast iron weights to mount in the back of the bed, but didn't find any before snow. I'm looking for an easy in / easy out in a small package for quick switching.

Run a 7' 6" Western

Ran without balast last season, should have run with 600#'s.

I was looking for cast iron weights to mount in the back of the bed, but didn't find any before snow. I'm looking for an easy in / easy out in a small package for quick switching.

I use the sand tubes wrapped in duck tape, yes they rip taking them in and out.:yikes:

my buddy has a 700# block of concrete that has hooks in it, and i just load it in and out with my fork lift which is sooo hard:smilewinkgrin:

Last two winters I've run a 8' Boss Super Duty. For ballast I've run 330lbs of sand bags. Not enough. Next season I will be running more, not sure of an exact number yet but closer to 900-1000.

Also either going to a V or getting wings so more traction in the back would be nice. Got into commercial this past winter. Parking lots rule!!

I was running much more than I needed. I had about 7-800lbs of sand (at least in the begining) plus all the other crap I have in there. I also had a 1/2 ton of salt in there at one time. They ran out around here, so when they got another shipment I bought 20 bags and left them in there until they were used. I run a fisher 8'HD MM2

I run a Fisher 8.5' stainless V with 1100# of ballast in the rear (sandbags) and am going to be putting in timbrens this year cause the 285's rub a little bit with the plow on.

an old CJ-7 with a 6' plow...just to do my driveway....last year I used my 125lb chocolate lab as balast..she worked great:thumbsup:

im guessing this is a cold weather thing.. So i have no clue what this is.:wtf:
Anyone care to shed some knowledge?

Ballast is weight added to the bed of the truck to counteract the weight that is placed on the front by a plow. It should be placed behind the rear wheels to be the most effective. Many people use sand bags, suitcase weights, chunks of concrete and sometimes even the women they took home from the bar at 2:30 am to acheive this.:joke:

am going to be putting in timbrens this year cause the 285's rub a little bit with the plow on.

Same here, my new wheels are offset a little more than stock and once the blade is on they will rub some I think. Also timbrens would have been nice as even with cranked bars she sagged some.

I run Timbrins and now she only squats about 1" at the mirror with the plow. before them it really took a dive down with the x-blade over a regular HD blade.

I run a Western Uni-Mount 8-1/2 foot;
I have custom built a set of box plow wings for plowing storage units

In the front I run green keys and longer shocks along with Timberns.

In the tail end:
I have a saddlebox loaded to the gills with parts and tools (about 500lbs)
I run a 100 gallon fuel tank (approx 800lbs) centered on the axle
I also run about 1200lbs of tractor weights against the tailgate for ballast
All that weight means plowing in 2wd!

I have always used half of a 55 gal. drum filled with concrete.
It has an inverted u of 3/4 rebar in it and we use a forklift to move it in or out.

600 lbs of tube sand for me...However, I'm still over the front axle 4670lb rating.

Time to hit the bars in search of more weight...

I run a Western pro plus and I block off the bed with a 2x12 behind rear wheels in the bed slots. I sand bag 600 lbs. seems like a good #

I run a meyer's 7'6 kinda currently. What I do for ballast is very simple and useful.

In the front of the bed closest to the rear window I put a couple of wooden pallets then I fill 3 plastic tote bins full of sand. The local town supplies, well ok my tax dollar does really, the sand. I put the 3 tubs of sand against the tailgate moving the weight as rearward as possible. I probably run 600 to 800 pounds in the rear.

If I get stuck I just simply open the lid of the tote bins and whala I now have sand for traction or even to sand customers driveways.

Back