• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Programmers and the dealership

This is widely debated and I dont think anyone has a definitive answer for it yet. There is a way to see if calibrations have changed but I dont think they can go much deeper than that.

Just make sure you pull out the Tune before going to the Dealer and you should be ok.

Thats what I have heard from many people. Im having troubles with move than usual amounts of oil coming out of the intercooler and on to the intake. I took it into the dealer to find out what might be going on. The dealer was making sure I haven't been using a programmer for the sake of my warrenty.

Sounds like you might have Overboosted a few Times and broke a Seal somewhere in the Turbo, and are now getting Blow By.

Or could be from the PCV also.

I took it into the dealer to find out what might be going on. The dealer was making sure I haven't been using a programmer for the sake of my warrenty.

Keep us posted on what comes out of this as there are plenty of people that would be interested in the outcome.

Hey Brandon, welcome over here. I'll be interested to see how this all pans out with C-T. The programmer tracking is a particularly interesting question that we'd all like to have answered.:D

Sounds like you might have Overboosted a few Times and broke a Seal somewhere in the Turbo, and are now getting Blow By.

Or could be from the PCV also.

Im pretty sure that's what happened. I threw a low boost code and one of the boots on the intercooler tubing was loose and leaking. Now the issue is getting the dealer to realize what the problem is.

When the SES light came on, I was running the stock tune, but I have a Superchips Flashpaq programmer (usually running at tow or tow performance setting)

I dont see Superchips making too much boost. Most of these handheld tunes dont add any boost, it just comes on differently.

I would make sure the PCV isnt leaking anything or one of your intercooler boots isnt loose. They have been known to blow off, even at stock power levels.

What were the codes, do you remember?

If the boot was leaking enough, my fuzzy logic would say that's why it gave you the under boost code. As others have mentioned, the boots are sometimes prone to blowing off or leaking. Add some oil into the mix a la the PCV system and the boot could give you problems sealing until completely cleaning it and re-installing.

If you take the boot off, clean it and the mounting surfaces with acetone to remove the oil residue, spray the boot with hair spray and re-install with the clamps this should keep it from blowing off again. The hair spray acts like a lubricant at first, then dries and forms an advesive holding the boot on along with the clamps.

in the classic model ecm you really cant tell unless they have a real experienced diesel tech who has gotten lessons from a field engineer on how to tell.

no you can read all of them, the lmm much easier, but if you know what to look for it can be done. how accurate has been the debate for a while on mcrats site.

If the boot was leaking enough, my fuzzy logic would say that's why it gave you the under boost code. As others have mentioned, the boots are sometimes prone to blowing off or leaking. Add some oil into the mix a la the PCV system and the boot could give you problems sealing until completely cleaning it and re-installing.

If you take the boot off, clean it and the mounting surfaces with acetone to remove the oil residue, spray the boot with hair spray and re-install with the clamps this should keep it from blowing off again. The hair spray acts like a lubricant at first, then dries and forms an advesive holding the boot on along with the clamps.

I brought the truck to the dealer and they cleaned the boot, the area surrounding, and put everything back together. They told me to just keep an eye out for any more oily areas around the intercooler piping.

With how much oil was there the first time (almost dripping off of the aluminum part of the intake after the intercooler) I have a feeling something is still wrong and it's just a matter of time until is shows up again.

The oil vapor from the pcv system which is pulled through the induction system will "condense" and settle into the low areas, which in our case is the intercooler. It is unfortunately normal to see this. It also causes the soot generated by your egr system to turn into a black gooey gunk and stick to the walls of the intake pipes.

Re-routing the pcv and blocking the egr will solve this problem once you take everything apart and clean the oil and soot out.

The oil vapor from the pcv system which is pulled through the induction system will "condense" and settle into the low areas, which in our case is the intercooler. It is unfortunately normal to see this. It also causes the soot generated by your egr system to turn into a black gooey gunk and stick to the walls of the intake pipes.

Re-routing the pcv and blocking the egr will solve this problem once you take everything apart and clean the oil and soot out.

I understand what you are saying, but in my case it doesn't seem like the usual amount of oil vapor... Its more towards the line of the intake piece is so oily it was dripping at the bottom. Before this happened, I had the typical oil vapor and dirty areas on the intercooler piping, but this is a lot more than that.

Back