• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Product review: B&W turnover ball

GM Guy

Manual Trans. 2WD Enthusiast
Reaction score
I figured I would put a review up in the review section for anyone on the fence.

I installed this one on a a bare chassis, eventual flatbed rig for the sheer strength of american engineered, built, and assembled excellence. my broke ass could have saved 100 bucks and went with a import curt unit, but I passed on that. due to the use, the turnover portion wont ever be used, but I will aquire a second one for the other truck at some point.

once I figured out the instructions it was a breeze! :) (had the crossmembers upside down)

pros:

beefy
american made
easy to assemble (once you figure out the vauge instructions)
precise (that ball isnt going anywhere)

cons:
paint: chips easy

washers: soft, and will cave in before the required 90 lb/ft will likely re-do with hardened washers, and maybe fine thread hardware, as IMO, coarse hardware is debateable in this application.

pics if anyone wants them.

X2! We know you have a bare chassis.... My dmax has a B&W welded in and welded together. Not a fan of welding on my frame but I needed a gooseneck ball and had this one laying around.

100_1478.jpg 100_1479.jpg

gotta get a photobucket account, resizing these is time consuming! :)

so, here are some pics of the beast!

the only change is today there is wires hanging everywhere for taillights and trailer connector.

They do install under the rails, the place that puts mine on does it w/o lifting the bed even.

That looks plenty solid.

Sent from: Source Unknown

yeah, the instructions tell you how to do it without lifting box. punch a hole in the bed, slide stuff in, cable hoist from above for center section (second guy with rope) and tighten down in a specific sequence to squish the bracket down flush with the side of the frame. I spent alot of time getting everything aligned perfectly in the slotted holes.

I put mine in my 09 myself. It was pretty easy and they are solid as a rock. I didnt lift the bed and had no help. Scariest part was drilling the 4" hole in the bed and praying I landed it in the right spot. Turns out it was, but even if its a fuzz off you can fudge it and its not a huge deal assuming you didnt miss much.

I bought a Curt over bed hidden goose neck hitch for my 07 GMC 3500.
The $300 installation kit comes with two 1/2" thick x 2 1/2" wide angle irons with a piece of 5/8" threaded rod welded to each end that bolt to two 1/4" thick frame mounting plates that besides they are ill fitting they look way to light to hold that hitch in place although it is apparently rated for 30.000 lbs.
There ain't much room between the bed and frame to build something better cause there's one bed cross member right were the hitch goes.:rolleyes5:

Did anybody else has one of these hitches installed and how do they stand up?

Back