• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

problems with Predator

Max Attitude

Typical White Person
Reaction score
Had the Pred for a while now...has always worked good. Now it won't tune the truck. I wanted to re-tune it because I switched tire sizes for the winter and wanted to recalibrate the speedo. I get error messages like-

- Invalid Key
- Script Error, Interpretor stopped
- ###Error###, Writing process terminated
- Error, timeout, press escape to continue

Talked to Diablo tech support on the phone a few days ago and they told me that since I live in a cold area to take it inside and let it warm up...said they've seen them act up when they get cold sometimes (even though I never had a problem last year).

Let it sit in the house for a day and tried again, same messages.

Since then I have tried calling Tech support 4 times at least. Wait 5 minutes and give up.

Tonight I tried re-tuning again and it failed. Tried starting my truck afterwards and it would start then die...tried about 5 times. I tried calling tech support yet again...sat on hold for 10-15 minutes and gave up.

So then after the 10-15 minutes I cranked it again and it started and ran normal. :wtf: I thought I was going to be stuck in that stupid parking lot.

Any ideas guys? I might give Merchant a call tomorrow.

Weird errors. No idea why. But.. It will always reset after 20 minutes or so, happens on EFI too if you don't shut the key off when it tells you to, or if you try to download from a truck that resists it. First time I was pretty worried, truck wouldn't even try to start, but then it was ok. Done it a few times since.

are you turning the key all the way on? i got the same message you got when i wasnt turning the key all the way on

are you turning the key all the way on? i got the same message you got when i wasnt turning the key all the way on

Yeah, I turn it all the way on.

Unit453 said:
Whats Merchant gonna do for you?

I figured they would have some ideas.

I finally got a hold of Diablo again. This guy told me since I'm getting the Script error message that it's a voltage issue. I don't have onstar, xm, or any of the other things like that he asked about. I don't usually pull the fuses because I have never had a problem. Maybe I'll do it this time. I charged my battery and I'm letting the Pred warm up a little bit and I'll try it again!

You don't pull the fuses? Umm that would have been the first thing I would have tried when it didn't work. I've done trucks that had nothing that should cause a problem and they still never worked without pulling the fuses. Simple solutions first man, always try them...

I've never pulled any fuses on two different trucks that I recall and I've never had a problem. Thats a good idea though and a good place to start.

Yeah that's the next step I guess but why would that change? The battery is charged and it still won't do it. I think the programmer is screwed up but we'll see tomorrow.

Kyle, what's a rev#? Sorry, might be a stupid question.

I've never pulled fuses either... though I did try tuning once with the radio on and got the same error message. I thought I had killed it or my truck, but I unplugged, turned the radio off and tried again and it worked just fine. I've probably tuned my truck 20-30 times and have a) never pulled fuses and b) never had a problem.

Diablo's support can be dicey. Their site sometimes will get you an answer in 20 minutes, other times 2 weeks or more (I've had one question out there for nearly a year that's never been answered... finally decided after a month I didn't need to know). The one time I called them, I was able to talk to a live person in 4-7 minutes, and I got my answer pretty quick... but one call isn't a trend.

Hate to hear you're having problems - sure hope you get it solved.

Yeah that's the next step I guess but why would that change? The battery is charged and it still won't do it. I think the programmer is screwed up but we'll see tomorrow.

Kyle, what's a rev#? Sorry, might be a stupid question.

sorry it's the tune revision #, it'll be like 9r01 or something like that. pulling the fuses is usually done b/c the unit won't be able to read all of the other things in the computer b/c there will be too much of a power draw, therefore they have you cut the power to them.

That's funny because I used to listen to my radio while I tuned it.

121234 is the serial # on the back of the Predator. It's an older one because I bought it used and that guy had sent it in to update to the 2.02

Ok, pulled the fuses that i used to pull while doing it ( have them marked) and now it says "No Response, Is igniton on?"

:willynilly: YES IT'S ON! :mad2:

After that I think it said something about EFI Live....

In my experiance...the Predator is extremely sensitive to battery voltage. My batteries are nearing the end of their life span...I have go for a 30 mile drive before I can change tunes with the predator.

In my experiance...the Predator is extremely sensitive to battery voltage. My batteries are nearing the end of their life span...I have go for a 30 mile drive before I can change tunes with the predator.

I've tried doing it right after a 30 mile drive also but no luck. I also charged the battery up...hardly needed it and it didn't work. But that's what the last tech guy thought it was, said it was a voltage problem. I haven't installed anything since I tuned it except for gauges and a Pioneer cd player and both techs said those wouldn't matter.

If those are the only changes then I would remove them and try it again. CD player first.

Gonna have to wait a few days...super busy lately. I'll let you know if it works. I had a similar cd player in before though too....it got ripped off, then I put this one in after getting sick of the stock deck. Shouldn't be the problem but we'll see.

Back