• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Problems and questions

jhornsby3

Reaction score
I replaced the heads gaskets and heads not long ago. When I replaced the gaskets I had the coolant "shake" in the oil system. When I removed the pass. side valve cover there was 1" of the water/oil "shake" covering the inside of the cover. Had the heads skimmed and pressure tested and all was good. Now if that crap was in the valve covers, how long will it take to work that crap out of the lower end? I flushed the system with oil/ tranny fluid to remove it from the workings. There is 150 miles on it since the repair and there is still water vapor coming from the dipstick and the CDR. I'm getting blue white smoke from the exhaust at lower RPM's and today when getting off the throttle on hills. It's not alot, but it's there. There is no new crap in the oil just the CDR and at the top of the dipstick.

Today it got warm when heading out and when I stopped to check things, noticed the top hose wasn't even pressurized like it should be. The water in the overflow tank was cool enough to pop the cap amd put a finger in. Topped the tank bled some air and reved the engine a couple times to 3k and bled out a tad bit more air.

If anybody has some advise out side of some sticks of TNT, Please.

John

Did you see the bad spot on the head gasket(s)?
New head bolts?

Other places for water to get to the oil:
Timing cover, water pump, cracks in the block/cyl. Heads as well via cracks, but, you said these were checked.

You will be looking at the timing chain when you check the front of the engine, water pump etc, for leaks.

Best thing to do before TNT is look at take out running 6.2/6.5 military engines with $950 plus shipping being the going rate for a guaranteed problem free 6.2.

The head gaskets took us to zero money for anything else. This took around 1600 bucks to get the heads and gaskets three times.:mad2: Those heads were flawless the last time. So $950 is out of the question for us now. :nonod:

So your saying to take the front of the engine apart now to look for leaks? This basket case has me at wits ends now. It amazes me at how many things can go wrong with the head gaskets. No wonder all my friends sold the GM trucks and bought the other two.:eek:

John

Back