• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

precup removal and install

sshewins

Jesus Freak
Reaction score
I've looked, but apparently not in the right places. I can seem to find anything on how to remove or install precups. Maybe I'm missing something, but I just can't find it. Thanks in advance,

Remove heads from engine then remove pre cups from heads install new precups then install heads with new gaskets and ARP head studs.

Precups are easy to pop out. Woden dowell and a few wacks of a hammer through the injector hole. Clean the carbon with a wire brush and install the new precups. Check for them being level with the head - there is a spec for this above or below the head measurements.

Watch for fitment between different heads/precups... They gotta be exactly flush with the head to seal up properly. Some 'machine shops' mill heads with the cups in place...

My former bro-in-law has a machine shop and he has to send diesel heads to another shop to "grind" because of the precups will tear up his milling machine. I'm just glad we still get along pretty well.

Precups suck into the grinding wheel, you have to remove precups to do head work. Otherwise they sink into the head after grinding and pop gaskets...

Back